Windows 7

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Re: Windows 7

Post by Chewi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:06 pm

This video made me laugh. Shows how clueless the average user is. They were fairly united in their hate of Vista though.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:27 pm

Nah, my XP was fine. It just tripped up on itself more often than not. Try do a few things too many and explorer would just shit it's pants and crash. You CTRL ALT and DEL and close it and sometimes it'd just never open again.

I remember XP would not play Tiberian Sun, at all, every snow map meant a crash. EA specifically state that Vista SP1 will work, and they''re not wrong. I can play my Tiberian Sun that I bought about 5 years ago, now!

Therefore in my opinion, Vista is by far miles better than XP. It's a vast improvement. And I'm enjoying my experience with Windows 7.

And my mate's PC has a 3ghz CPU and 1GB of RAM. XP only "needs" 256mb of RAM. They're using 4 times as much as that and it still crashes. At least Vista works well on it's recommended 2GB.

And I don't think I'm just lucky just because my Vista doesn't crash unless I cause it by tinkering in the MB BIOS. My PC never crashes unless I overclock too much. Jo's PC never crashes unless I mess about in the BIOS. I recently got my mate to switch from XP to Vista (it was hard work, I initially convinced him to just try it and also try some DX10, seeing as he had a HD4850) And his PC never crashes randomly anymore.

I haven't had to run Anti-virus software for almost two years. I haven't been inflicted with spyware for the same amount of time. If you remember, James, I complains constantly about it way back when, on XP (when you showed me Firefox!)

So, I'm a very, very opinionated person, but none of this is pure opinion and goes directly off experiences and Vista is better than XP, anbd Windows 7 is better than Vista (not liking the Mac OS attempts, though, want a mac? Go pay twice as much as the machine's worth)
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:27 pm

From what I hear each windows release gets closer and closer to just being unix,
No idea what unix is. I'm just parroting a friend.
but i think the idea is that all the major operating systems would pretty much be the same eventually.

Anybody want to test the linux waters without taking diving straight in might want to look at Wubi
http://wubi-installer.org/
that's how I went about it.
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Gnome all the way. n.n
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm

UNIX was an operating system that began life in 1969. It's the great grandaddy of many of today's operating systems including Mac OS X, Sun Solaris and all the BSDs. Linux isn't a direct descendent of UNIX but it was intended to be a free clone and that's why it's very compatible. This kind of compatibility is known as POSIX. When you look at the world from the *nix perspective, Windows is actually the odd one out. It's probably true to say that it is gradually becoming more UNIX-like because although regular users may not have noticed it, Windows is moving away from the old C:\ mentality and has recently added features such a symbolic links. This and projects such as Cygwin can make Windows behave in a mostly POSIX-compliant way but it would require a rewrite on the level of OS X to make it really sit comfortably with the others. Would Microsoft do that? Some have said it's not out of the question. Apple did it, after all. But evidently they haven't chosen this route with Windows 7. Vista was a total rewrite and 7 simply appears to be better version of it.

On a related note, Microsoft did once have their own variant of UNIX called Xenix but home users would never have seen it. It later became SCO UNIX and in recent years, SCO have tried to sue various Linux entities, claiming that Linux stole some of its code - yet they were never able to say exactly what code. It turned out that they didn't even own the code they were claiming was copied - Novell did. Now SCO is on the verge of collapse, having spent all their money on law suits. Don't fuck with Linux. :lol:
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:30 am

But again dude thats just u, if XP is properly set up. U get no problems i havent got a firewall or a anti virus on my pc havent since ive had XP and no problems. But again i didnt have all that shit with 98 and didnt have the problems. I still think if the system crashes or any problems with a system its down to a user. I dont care what ppl say. If somethings wrong its the user. I've been defenceless for years and no trouble. If i get trouble its usually my fault. I just down like how vista is ran ... using more hardware .. i shouldnt need to upgrade to use a OS ... i except to up grade to play games but not to run my pc.

I tried vista a million of times. Even my dad has. My whole college IT students did and they all said the same ... uses to much hardware for something which is shiny ... wow i can make XP look the excat same and still use less ram and CPU. If ur good at using pcs then u dont have problems if ur shit ... then expect problems.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:31 am

Matt wrote:So, I'm a very, very opinionated person, but none of this is pure opinion and goes directly off experiences and Vista is better than XP, anbd Windows 7 is better than Vista (not liking the Mac OS attempts, though, want a mac? Go pay twice as much as the machine's worth)

I think, what most of us are saying, are just a load of opinions. Yeah maybe not pure opinion, but at the end of the day, people have there comforts and preferences. However, there are major critcisms about Vista. I ain't getting into it, gives me and everyone else a major headache, am sure. I will say this though, I haven't had any spyware myself, and I don't always install updates (am bloody lazy to). Seems they created Windows 7 as a much needed improvement. I've read some sites that give Vista the thumbs down, but Windows 7 the thumbs up

Would I buy a Mac? Yes and no. It just boils down to the Windows vs Macintosh debate. Macintosh is for those in the creative/digital hub. For instance, it's the only OS and hardware to support ColorSync (http://www.guidenet.net/resources/win_vs_mac.html). Only real thing stopping me is that it's expensive to buy one. I just can't afford one.
Chewi wrote: On a related note, Microsoft did once have their own variant of UNIX called Xenix but home users would never have seen it. It later became SCO UNIX and in recent years, SCO have tried to sue various Linux entities, claiming that Linux stole some of its code - yet they were never able to say exactly what code. It turned out that they didn't even own the code they were claiming was copied - Novell did. Now SCO is on the verge of collapse, having spent all their money on law suits. Don't fuck with Linux. :lol:
Lol, why does that not suprise me? Even for someone who knows that much about Linux. However, more and more each day you hear about Linux in the everyday world. Am pretty sure Linux will just overshadow Windows one day. Or is that dreaming too much? :P
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:45 am

I laughed when I saw that the National Lottery machines run Linux. I rebooted ours a few times and Tux comes up =D Didn't catch what they were running, though.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:12 am

Matt wrote:I laughed when I saw that the National Lottery machines run Linux. I rebooted ours a few times and Tux comes up =D Didn't catch what they were running, though.
Heh I didn't know that. I'll take a closer look next time.

Oh, there's another OS I think you guys should know about. ReactOS. It's an open source clone of Windows. The idea is that you can just use it with your regular software and drivers, making it instantly compatible with everything you already use. It's still got some way to go but I'm impressed with what they've managed to do so far. I met one of the main developers at a conference once but unfortunately the signifance of the project was lost on me at the time.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Matt wrote:I laughed when I saw that the National Lottery machines run Linux. I rebooted ours a few times and Tux comes up =D Didn't catch what they were running, though.
Tehehe, maybe Tux just comes up to try and say "Hey you bastards, am here to mind control you, if you win the lotto, you WILL give all your wealth to me, and you shall be my bitch!" He needs to, rather than that Bill Gates asshole, you see it's his cunning plan. If Tux ruled the world he's make us live like penguins. Penguins, they may look funny when they walk but they are evil bastards.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:33 pm

They are evil bastards, the reason the penguin got associated with Linux is because a rather angry one bit Linus Torvalds when he visited Australia one time.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:36 pm

Lol, probably wanted to eat him.
I will eat you all raaarrr!
I will eat you all raaarrr!
See, Tux has all his nomnoms ready.
Reaping-Sorrow
Scavenger

Post by Reaping-Sorrow » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Matt wrote:Nah, my XP was fine. It just tripped up on itself more often than not. Try do a few things too many and explorer would just shit it's pants and crash. You CTRL ALT and DEL and close it and sometimes it'd just never open again.

I remember XP would not play Tiberian Sun, at all, every snow map meant a crash. EA specifically state that Vista SP1 will work, and they''re not wrong. I can play my Tiberian Sun that I bought about 5 years ago, now!

Therefore in my opinion, Vista is by far miles better than XP. It's a vast improvement. And I'm enjoying my experience with Windows 7.

And my mate's PC has a 3ghz CPU and 1GB of RAM. XP only "needs" 256mb of RAM. They're using 4 times as much as that and it still crashes. At least Vista works well on it's recommended 2GB.

And I don't think I'm just lucky just because my Vista doesn't crash unless I cause it by tinkering in the MB BIOS. My PC never crashes unless I overclock too much. Jo's PC never crashes unless I mess about in the BIOS. I recently got my mate to switch from XP to Vista (it was hard work, I initially convinced him to just try it and also try some DX10, seeing as he had a HD4850) And his PC never crashes randomly anymore.

I haven't had to run Anti-virus software for almost two years. I haven't been inflicted with spyware for the same amount of time. If you remember, James, I complains constantly about it way back when, on XP (when you showed me Firefox!)

So, I'm a very, very opinionated person, but none of this is pure opinion and goes directly off experiences and Vista is better than XP, anbd Windows 7 is better than Vista (not liking the Mac OS attempts, though, want a mac? Go pay twice as much as the machine's worth)
i cant believe theres someone out there that actually likes vista.... it's like a windows attempt done by kindergardeners. i cant stand bill gates but atleast he has his damned standards although they were too low as it was....... how about that functionality, we have a sidebar. buy it. oh and lets not forget the top notch security,we'll ask you 50 freaken times before you do absolutely anything. cant get more secure than that. it's really just xp with a lag enema
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:03 am

Remember when Firefox was the least used browser, and then it suddenly snuk up on IE?

I expect to see the same of Linux in the next few years.
I think all it would take is support from maybe 2 more major 3rd party software developers.

of course some games couldnt hurt.
I think its the gaming that really hurts the mac.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:46 am

Firefox itself actually isn't that old. Only began in 2002. It went from 0 to heavyweight in very little time at all. Of course, it wasn't really new, the code came from the Mozilla browser, which in turn came from Netscape, but I bet most Firefox users don't know that.

Opera, on the other hand, began in 1996. It only became free without ads a few years ago when Firefox started to take hold. If it had been free the whole time, it would probably have a much larger share than it does.

Firefox's share is only about 21%. I think there's a very large percentage of IE users who will simply never switch because they're too ignorant or just don't care. That's why Opera (now with support from Mozilla) is in the European courts, fighting over Microsoft's practise of bundling the IE in the operating system. Some people criticise this, asking why they don't target Apple as well for doing the same with Safari. They probably would if Safari's share was even worth fighting over. At least IE8 will be relatively standards-compliant though the CSS3 features are sorely missed and it'll take years before IE6 and IE7 fade out of the picture.

Just remembered your point was about Linux. Oh well. :P