Windows 7

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Windows 7

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:20 am

Anyone tried it, yet?

Not sure what to think, to be honest. Some of the things I liked about Vista are gone and seem to be difficult to retrieve. Not enjoying the new taskbar, either.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Re: Windows 7

Post by Squirrel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:40 pm

Tbh, I didn't hear of this.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:41 am

... i'll get it a look out when it comes out. Am not in to using a beta of windows. The full realease windows is buggy as it is without using a beta version. And if its like Vista i'll stick with XP till they force me. I cant bring my self to use something else. The only decent thing about vista is the 64bit compabitly but thats about it. I have it on the laptop and on the media center at my parnets and even then i down graded back to XP. And if i could down grade to XP on the laptop without to much problems i would.
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:27 am

not heard anything bad about win 7 yet but i never heared anything bad about there other version during beta either.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:59 am

I've heard Windows7 is supposed to be really good. but at the same time, I'm hearing that its not going to be backward compatible.
and that they are going to use a strategy similar to what apple did with the release of OSX. that pretty much enforces that people and companies alike leave the older systems behind and work with the new ones.

but Vista....pain in the ass.
at least with Windows7 i have fair warning that nothing will work.

Vista is like a cute bitchy chick.
She's fun to look at, but you do not get involved.

but when Windows7 drops, this summer supposedly, things are going to be interesting.
I'm wondering just how far theyd go to convince everyone to make the switch.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:41 am

great makes me want it even less now lol
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Haha.

Vista is cracking. Been a solid OS for well over a year, now. I used to reboot my XP machine daily because of crashes. Only crashes I get in Vista are when I've been messing with my Overclocking settings. Other than that I can leave this machine running for days and not have to reboot.

Hell, my mate's XP machine froze opening My Computer, yesterday.

Now, Windows 7 has a smaller RAM footprint. Vista uses roughly 1.8GB of my 4GB at idle. Windows 7 uses 1.3GB. The sidebar is gone, replaced with simple gadgets on the desktop. They've started to make use of themes and the whole colour schemes thing. The taskbar has changed and is now a hell of a lot more customisable and they've finally revamped network shares and it made it much less of a hassle, while adding more security (random generated password that's unique)

But then Dave's been saying the same thing for 4 years. I didn't expect him to be into all the new and latest things.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:39 pm

We're setting up to use xp and linux machines at the studio, and we just found out we absolutely need at least 1 mac.
that was unplanned for.
I wonder how 7 is going to change our studio...if at all.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:40 am

As i've been sayin apart from the 64bit shit what is vista good for and u came up with nothin. I cant help if ur noob friends PC crashes. Ask anyone chewi and shit. If my PC is off its due to a power outage. I've havent crashed. and 1.4gigs! i mean thats a shit load compaired to my 400megs and thats with firefox been opening for ages.

Thats what i've been sayin am happy to update when they bring something decent to the table. But vista is just bloated. XP on crack and not the good shit either.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:32 am

Don't take this the wrong way, Matt, but I reckon you've just been lucky. It does happen. I mean my installation of Windows ME was rock solid, one of the best I ever had, but ask anyone else and they'll tell you it was the absolute worst.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:19 am

I can't remember having much problems with XP. Sure I had few, minor problems but nothing into comparison with Vista. Johnny is right, Vista is a sexy bitch. A catty one at that! Now I don't know that much about computers, but the amount of times I have to use ctrl+alt+delete is ridiculous. Ed wants to get Windows 98 back. We're trying to find a legitamate copy from anywhere. He says he never had any problems with 98 what so ever, and come to think of it, when I used to have it, neither did I.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:00 am

Windows 98 was a twin. The first edition was AWFUL. Worst Windows I've seen. The second edition wasn't too bad. But running it now is just a liability. You'll be swamped with viruses in minutes.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:06 am

As I said I never had any problems...but yeah I did have the 2nd edition, never had the 1st one so I can't say whether that was bad or not. My old windows 98 was very basic anyway. Don't know which one Ed had though. He says ME was shit when he had it and had like 1000 problems with that. He has old, old games, so I think that is the only reason he wants it back, haha! :roll:

If I could go Linux I would. I mean, a MAC 'puter is fucking expensive, so that's out of the question for a long time. However, I have no clue what so ever about Linux, I am sorta computer savvy, only up to a point. These sort of things just make my head implode, lol. Anyway, am not even sure If I could run Lineage 2 on Linux (yeah I only think about my games :P )?

Anyway, back to this Windows 7. Yeah, new features look fantastic, but I doubt it's gonna be any more reliable than Vista (if you can ever call Vista reliable). Thing is with these "windows gurus" (I watched the video), they seem to concentrate on looks and design, not much on security features, and don't get me started on Windows OneCare. Plus, Matt is right, the taskbar looks awful.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:48 am

there just tryin to make it look like a mac os
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:52 am

Vista for me has been a tale of 2 half's on my laptop vista home premium has run great for me but on my pc with vista ultimate 64 bit i have had countless problems.