Credit Card signiture fun

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Credit Card signiture fun

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:06 pm

Over the past 6 months, I have been playing a fun game with my credit card company. The game finally backfired on me today and led me through the most hilarious moment of my life. Most people would have been embarrassed, but me, I'm a little twisted, so I laughed all the way through it like an asshole.

With any story, there is a setup process. Here is the setup to this story. About 6 months ago, I was making a purchase with my credit card and when I went to sign the electronic signature machine, it was broken. By broken, I mean that when I touched the pen to the machine, it went crazy and didn't look anything like my signature. It looked like a drunk 4 year old signed my name for me. It accepted the signature without any problems. So this really made me wonder what I could do to give my credit card company something to laugh about. I mean, they obviously don't review the signatures since they never called me or declined a purchase. For fucks sake, it could have been a stolen card.

I started out modest by signing with a line or an "X". Occasionally I would do last name first. After a couple of months, I became bolder. I wrote goofy shit, drew pictures, etc. Here's a list of some of my favorite signatures over the past few months:

I AM NOT KINGPIN
I STOLE THIS
FUCK OFF
FUCK YOU
WALMART SUCKS
CALL ME
CROTCHY CROTCHINGTON
MY BALLS ITCH
I'M A CRIMINAL
THANKS FOR THE STUFF

Today I went the extra mile. When it came time to sign my name, a thought popped in my head. I should draw a picture. But what picture should I draw? I smirked as something completely juvenile came to me. This is a rough drawing of the signature that I provided:

Yes, I know, it's not my best artwork, but I didn't have the time to be elaborate with the drawing. I had to look like I was providing a signature. Right after I hit "OK", there was a pause. The register then said "COMPARE SIGNATURE ON SLIP TO CARD." One thought popped in my head: "OH FUCK!" It then printed the receipt and there in black and white was my shitty drawing of cock and balls. The lady at the register didn't immediately look at it. She asked for the card. I handed her the card and she flipped it over. Then she brought up the receipt and she smirked, but then took a stern tone and said "These signatures don't match."

At this point I was in tears from trying to hold back my laughter. I tried to explain to her why I had done it, but it didn't matter. I probably didn't make sense as I laughed hysterically through the explanation. She then paged the manager and I erupted in laughter. The guy behind me in line got a glimpse of my signature on the receipt and began laughing. The manager comes up and the woman from the register begins whispering to him. I then hear a few words "he drew a penis..." as she holds up the receipt. The manager blurts out a short laugh and then controls it. He turns to me and I'm out of breath from laughing and I'm still giggling like a schoolgirl.

Manager: Sir, your signature...heh...umm...doesn't match the signature on your card.
Kingpin: I know and there is a good reason for that.
Manager: (quietly) You drew a penis on my credit card machine.
**The guy behind me bursts into laughter.**
Kingpin: Yeah, I didn't think this would happen. I've been trying to see how far I could go with my signature before the credit card company did something about it.
Manager: I guess you learned your lesson.
Kingpin: Yeah, the credit card doesn't accept penis.
**The guy behind me now can't stop laughing.**
Manager: OK, I'm going to decline the signature and have you sign it again.
Kingpin: Fair enough.
Manager: This time, really sign it.

So I had to sign it again and they wouldn't let me keep my artwork. Those bastards. I had singlehandedly broken up the monotony of their daily routine and given them something that they will be talking about for years to come and they wouldn't let me keep it. They will tell their grandchildren about the guy that drew cock and balls as his credit card signature.

So I have a plan now. I'm going to get a new credit card and sign the back with my cock and balls drawing. Then I will consistently use that as the signature. That way, if I ever get caught in the same situation, the signatures will match. That will really fuck with them.
http://www.drunkrepublic.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=60?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Re: Credit Card signiture fun

Post by Chewi » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Hahaha. Just goes to show what a load of crap card security it though. I don't think chip and pin is entirely solid either.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:30 pm

tbh the computer doesnt check the siguture to a match. Its a random stop. Most times no signature is an excalt match. And pin numbers are stupid. Bio metric is the way to go lol
runawaygurl
Not-A-Deserter

Post by runawaygurl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:26 am

Hahahahahahaha! That is amazing... that makes me want to offend old ladies in walmart. lol
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:14 pm

I rarely check signatures, it's not even that common as about a year ago, pretty much all cc companies enforced a chip and pin system for their CC's, oddly you only have to sign a credit.

Old people often insist on telling me the number when I turn the terminal and ask them to enter the pin,

'it's 1234, son'

><
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 am

It's different here, we only just introduce the eletronic signatures here into stores like BigW (Walmart) in the last year or so. We only just introduced Pin/Sign here for creditcards....before you could only sign. I still don't have the firmware update from my bank for Pin/Sign.

Working with an actual terminal....i drill everyone on checking signatures and it's not actually checking the signature but watching them sign that's important. I make people resign signatures....not often but about 2-3 times a year. I make them check the name on the card, expiry.

I fucking hate debit cards with pins and people who give there kids/partners/friend there card and pin number to use. Most of the time i know it's legit... and it's a fucking stupid looophole.... i don't like it. It's stupid.... we get sent all this informations about how to check for creditcard fraud.... but debit card/savings/cheque fraud... oh no sorry not much you can do about it.

We had a case last week, some guy came in wanting to know why we charged his card. We presented the slip and the signature, it's his (or very close to his), when the card was presented and swiped all was well. Apparently his ex-partner (he's gay) has stolen/gotten replacements of his cards and charged hundreds to him...flowers, big department store purchases. He admited the signature does or pretty much does match his own...feel so sorry for him.

That said....whenever my mum makes a big purchase her credit card company rings her to tell her....so like...why didn't his card company do that?

I heard about this a while ago and a guy that did this experiment...i think there is a website for it too.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:43 pm

I know i cant use dani's and dani cant use mine. I get allowed by it but i can see there point. Dani usually deals with all the stuff for me and uses my card when need to but has to go to the bank for cash first.

The hole signing stuff is crap. I've never been able to sign the same every sig i do is totally different pretty much i cant duplicate shit like that. But like Mik i've had the granny come in tellin me there pin number. Silly old ppl are gonnna get in trouble one day
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:44 pm

The lady should have asked for an ID, she wouldn't even have had to call a manager.

Dumb bitch.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:57 pm

my bank rang up once cause I was the victim of fraud, cause someone attempted to buy a phone card in Oldham or something and they canceled it. I was like damn, that was over £10 I'd have never spotted that shit.
Forgetfuldan
Enforcer

Post by Forgetfuldan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:48 pm

I hate the way the chip and pin system works. After watching a few shows on tv I never feel comfortable with it. I had a bad experience buying online last x mas for what I felt was quite a sum for me at the time. My money appeared to be "lost" in the system, neither the store nor the bank had it. It took the bank about a week before the money was returned. Boy am I worried about buying online again!

Even in the supermarket, although it is more convenient to just pop your card in than deal with petty change, I would still rather use change. Call me paranoid but you never know who may of tampered with the machines esp atms. When I need to withdraw a larger sum of cash I prefer to go into the bank itself and deal with a teller. 9/10 they are a lot more secure and good about checking the card really is mine. Once my signature wasn't that great, I was having an off day and they did ask for another form of ID. Luckily I had a photo card driving licence on me which also had my signature on it.

It is quite sad when you can't trust a public convenience anymore.