does anyone else donate blood?

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:12 am

just donated blood again, it's winter is it's important that more people donate that are healthy and don't have colds and stuff. In australia you don't get paid for donating. You get free stuff sometimes for donating a certain number me times. Like. a key ring or whatever. I'm a+, i've been a bit run down lately, shouldn't have donated probably . But my blood pressure and iron levels where good. So what type are you? What bit do you dislike the most, what kind of food do you guys get?
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 am

I keep meaning to go and give blood. If only so I can find out my bloody type.

I'm scared shitless of needles, but I don't mind having blood taken.

I think they should pay you for it, then more people would give blood and we wouldn't have TV adverts trying to make you feel bad because blood is in short supply.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:13 am

In a way, I'd like to but it just gives me the willies. I'm not too bad with needles but I don't like the bit where they take blood out or put stuff in. Putting stuff in is worse but still. At least I now know that I'm not HIV+, which is something I was vaguely paranoid about before. Can't use that as an excuse anymore. I'll consider it a bit harder next time I see info on it. I guess I could always cook up liver and bacon afterwards. :D
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:48 am

Oh, great. I lived in your house for a weekend and you think you might;ve had HIV?

Lol.

Seriously, though, James. What do they teach you in Jersey schools? Other than if the cheese smells like feet it's good.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 am

What do you mean by that? I had unprotected sex with a girl who'd been with quite a few more guys than I first thought. Not all of those were unprotected but still, the possibility would worry you.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:42 am

I want to but i cant. I would cry like a baby and fanit. I really want to tho. But needles just dont like me and then u see the blood and i like EWWW ............ (thats the fainting part)

Like Matt I wonder about what my blood type is too. Maybe if i get enough balls i might go and do it. I dont agree with the whole payin thing tho. All ppl want now is to get paid for shit. Shouldnt put a price of helping a life. Its like a few guys wanted to get paid for donating sperm ... dont see the point, they probably jack off every day why not put it to get use. XD
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:02 pm

American's get paid or get given 'incentives' like gift cash cards etc to donate blood and the american blood service is really straining to support that market strategy. They have to pay to feed and water you after you give blood, the advertising the freight all this stuff... if you start charging to give blood...they'll start charging if you use it. That's not a medical system i want to be a part of.

I first donated blood because i was curious of my blood type. Now I do it because I can and alot of people who want to can't. Also, it doesn't really cost me anything to donate blood, i get a lovely bit of time chatting to people, it helps me make sure my iron levels are good. It encourages me to be healthier.

I'm thinking of becoming a plasma donor. You can donate plasma every 2 weeks instead of 12 for whole blood. But i don't think i can handle that much scheduling of time away.

I'm actually pretty good when it comes to needles...and the wierdest thing is feeling the warm tube against your skin with the blood in it.

But one of the guys thought i was very pale and should sit down longer today.... they are always so paranoid your going to faint!

They moved the blood donor place a few door downs from my work, so i have no excuse not to go. Before it was at the hospital and very hard to reach.

They test your blood for HIV and all this other stuff before they give it to people....the forms and questions you have to answer are very very long... but then if i needed your blood.... i guess i'd want to know those things too.

btw... donating blood is a good way to overcome a fear of needles

p.s James, you where right to get tested. The paranoia alone could kill you. At least you're not a girl and have never had the paranoia of 'am i pregnant'
Last edited by Melana on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:52 pm

I have issues with that stuff. I hate talking about THAT STUFF *eye twitches*. Am quite heamophobic and I discussed this with a nurse at a blood donor bank. She said it's probably a good idea not to give blood then. I hated being pregnant I had to have ruddy tests done all the time ><

So am afraid I'm not good in that respect. However I carry an orgban donor card, so someone wil have my good lungs (I don't smoke anymore haven't done in about..nearly a year?).

Anyway, my mum gives blood :wacko: . So far she has donated up to 52 pints of the stuff, and she's showing no signs of stopping. Seriously it's like a drug to her.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:03 pm

you donate blood they give you pizza.

so, yeah...I've donated.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:26 pm

im thinking of gona do it if i see the van in town ,im not bothered by needles ,i was 1st in line at each jag at school,to get it done and over with,so much hassel over a lil prick i say.
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Aurora wrote:so much hassel over a lil prick i say.
hope ur still talking about needles and not chewi there...
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:32 pm

Charging to use would suck immensely.

I'm up for giving blood, I just don't think my lifestyle suits it. Weed won't hurt anyone, but there's enough in my blood to detect it. I gave bloody smaples a few years ago and the nurse told me that I smoked cannabis. Lol.
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:39 pm

I have to have no physical contact with my mother for 12 months to be eligible. I think that some of the precautions the CDC issues out are just silly. The Airforce doesn't pay you to give blood though, there's no suprise you get, just a needle in the arm (or arms if they're new...or just an idiot) and a GTFO sorta deal. However, it is strongly "encouraged" to donate.

and for the record, im AB+
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:37 am

oh that's pretty rare. Neato