avi ---> dvd

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:43 pm

um?

ok i need to convert some avi vids to a dvd format, but since the file isnt even all that big. i want to use a regular cd-r.

I have to burn a slideshow of some artwork with some music in the background.
the video is already made.
but it doesnt play in most dvd players like i need it to.
Last edited by kaos on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:24 am

I'm about to head to bed so I'll make this a short answer. Do it as a VCD if you want to use a CDR. They will still play in most DVD players.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:30 am

# VCD
VCD is a Video Compact Disc. It is a usual CD-ROM disc that contains video and audio. Typically, a VCD can hold about 74 minutes (650MB) of video and stereo-quality audio. The video and audio are stored in MPEG-1 format and follow certain standards (White Book). VCD video quality is roughly the same as VHS video. Almost all stand-alone VCD or DVD Players with CD-R or CD-RW playback capabilities can playback VCD discs. They can also be played without problems on DVD/CD-ROM drives with playback software.
To create VCD, you should use common CD-R or CD-RW discs.
Advantages: uses common Compact Discs; most compatible format; low price of medium.
Disadvantages: cannot store more than a usual CD (650 Mb), almost the same quality as VHS.

# SVCD
SVCD is nothing more than a Super Video Compact Disc. It is still an old good CD-ROM disc that contains video and audio of a higher quality comparing to VCD. Typically, a SVCD can hold about 35~45 minutes (650MB) of video and stereo-quality audio (depends on the data rate used for encoding). That is why several SVCDs are required to contain one movie. The video and audio are stored in MPEG-2 format, much like a DVD. SVCDs can be played on some stand-alone DVD Players with CD-R or CD-RW playback capabilities and on almost any computer DVD/CD-ROM drives with playback software.
Use common CD-R or CD-RW discs to burn SVCD.
Advantages: uses common Compact Discs, quality is almost the same as DVD.
Disadvantages: several SVCDs are required for a standard movie