What I thought all along.

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Can you be too clean?

This was what the mothers from BabyCentre were asking. This article only comfirms what I believe. It just goes to show you don't need all those harsh chemicals to clean your home. You cannot go wrong with hot, soapy water. Also, lemon juice and bicarbonate of soda are great for cleaning with. I have a dust allergy, and it gets worse when i use too much chemicals. I dust, with polish only once a month, and wash down surfaces everytime they need a good clean. I also open my windows, even if it's cold, every now and then, just to let fresh air in. I don't believe in humidifiers not air conditioners, also they cost a bomb.

Cassie does have more colds and sniffles than most babies her age. But I believe the benefits, in the long run, will be more benefical than those in the short term.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:26 pm

I've said that for a very long time. A little bit of harm does you good. When I was 5, my tonsils swelled up and made it hard for me to breathe so they had to be removed. They're supposed to stop germs from entering your throat. Because I didn't have them anymore, I had colds for much of the next few years. It was annoying at the time but I'm very grateful for it now because I hardly ever get ill. I tell people I have an immune system of steel. :D I particularly noticed that my ex-housemate Laura, who was a bit of a clean freak, often got ill. I also refrain from taking medicine for at least a few days into the illness and usually altogether.

Dettol kills 99% of [strike]bacteria[/strike] lifeforms on this planet. FACT! :P
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:36 pm

pfft
there is nothing wrong with letting yer kid eat worms or roll in the mud or let yer mutt lick them all over or the odd time you forget to wash yer hands.

i only clen if the place looks too messy of mop and sweep if they are very dirty.
Forgetfuldan
Enforcer

Post by Forgetfuldan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:09 pm

I will admit I don't do much cleaning at home but the woman I work for boy do I clean lol well her flat is small and its kept very tidy so cleaning is very easy and takes no time at all. She doesn't own any polish, window cleaner or anything like that I have to work with good old fairy liquid and water or a waxy brush to polish the furniture. Back to our house, we have all the cleaning products under the sun under the kitchen sink but only a handful get used like the shiny sinks stuff cos I like to see the sink looking silver and the stuff for the cooker cos a dirty cooker is just minging.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Ya now Cillit Bang is rubbish? It doesn't actually work and really burns the hands! I use coca-cola to clean my jewelery it is the best thing ever! Also with combating cooties/lice I use vodka. I swear by it! However i wouldn't recceomend expensive vodka!

Also Dettol, the liquid. Can be very benefical. I just don't believe in all this Dettol sprays and Dettol handwashes. I do have antibacterial handwash, but sometimes I forget to wash my hands. I also have antibacterial handwash, but apart from that there is no harsh chemicals we do have...apart from Toilet Duck loolz!
Last edited by Squirrel on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:48 pm

I find the smell of Cillit Bang nauseating. Not that you're supposed to smell it. :wacko:
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm

I read something in the news paper about Autoimmune diseases on the rise in older people because they live (or lived) in these super germ free homes and their immune system never had the chance to build up any resistances so now they get these serious and rare diseases. It also said it had something to do with all the harsh chemicals we use in the home. And if you add it with all those luxury drugs people take? Hell, we are walking balls of poison! I say you should use medicine when you REALLY need it and are really sick, but to let your body fight the disease if possible first. And I also think that some chemicals are really good (like when you need to get a stain out of the carpet), but cut back on all those strong everyday ones you use! It will be healthier for you and the environment in the long run.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:08 am

A little bit of muck never did any harm.
runawaygurl
Not-A-Deserter

Post by runawaygurl » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:28 pm

When I was little my mom had a friend who was a total clean freak and never let her daughter who was pretty close to my age go outside and play because it was too "dirty". Well mom knew if she didn't she would never build up any immunity, so once a week she'd offer to babysit her while her mom went to the grocery store and she let her play in the mud with me. I loved making mud pies and such when I was little, so we got her good and dirty and she rarely got sick after that. I'm a firm believer in children getting dirty just so they can build up some resistance.

And some of the moms on BabyCenter are cuckoo. Cuckoo bananas.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:32 pm

the kid always gets the cold ... cause dani always get it. Me am a superhero i dont get the cold ... much. I cant mind a single time i took a day off anything for a sick day.

I like to think i give dibs the freedom to do anything he wants ... gop girls boobies, get the cold and well defend for him self agaisnt the cat. Why keep him germ free XD

Yea and i agree about some cleaning products, when i was workin at the kitchens i breathed in some werid shit then ... i guess i could acount for that for killin my brain cells. Some really bad stuff which i strongly agaisnt apart from bleach ... yes its banned in kitchens but it brings the floors so clean like eat ur meal and die of posion clean
Forgetfuldan
Enforcer

Post by Forgetfuldan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:22 pm

Hmm I need to find a really good cleaning product to get some of the dirt off this old desk of Davids lol its disgusting!
Stephanie
Solider

Post by Stephanie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:53 am

I have an amazing immune system. I didn't as a kid though. I was sick all the time till about the age of like 6. My mom keeps a clean house, but not obsessively so. Like she wipes down the counters and tables she eats on once a day w/ good ole warm soapy water. Vacuums about three times a week, and dusts hardly ever. So I was exposed to germy germs trust me on that. And now I'm feeling Just GREEEAT!!!