Aura's sister site

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:27 am

Yea cookies are coming the thing of the past now. And they pretty much cause more problems than anything else with the whole speed up of the interweb. But still manual delete cookies lass. Sometime the automatic function is shit and doesnt actually do it. I've noticed that.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:37 am

This is a 20mbit line, though. I've never really had a problem with speed. Removing cooies is just something I've never done :(
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:17 am

yea thats what am sayin cookies isnt really important now a days for speeding up browsering ur broadband line is quick enough. I dont remove cookies either i dont find the point and i get very little trouble. I ask to get a new set of cookies with each visit
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Just makes it easier not having to log in each time i click my favourite sites.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:04 pm

EchoPark wrote:yea thats what am sayin cookies isnt really important now a days for speeding up browsering ur broadband line is quick enough. I dont remove cookies either i dont find the point and i get very little trouble. I ask to get a new set of cookies with each visit

yeah and you don't even have internet security ¬_¬
Stephanie
Solider

Post by Stephanie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:59 pm

it doesnt' delete my passwords and shit. just my cache, download history, and cookies.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:25 pm

But isn't it the cookies that keep you logged in? The way I imagine it, your browser gets asked to look for a cookie, if it's found the session is created or recreated...James?
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:01 pm

Stephanie wrote:it doesnt' delete my passwords and shit. just my cache, download history, and cookies.

Are you running Mozilla Firefox?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:28 pm

There's two angles to this. The site can keep you logged in using cookies. Or your browser can remember your password. Disabling cookies entirely would prevent you from being able log in for more than a page at a time. But you haven't done that, you've only told your browser to delete them when you close it. Assuming you're accessing the site using http://coven.aura-online.co.uk, I don't really know what's up.
Last edited by Chewi on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:30 pm

yea rock on the no security! All that stuff slows u down. XD Router should do an alright job. I scan every so often and i have fuck all. I've seen ppl with all the firewalls and anti virus in the world and they still get hit but i get fuck all.

Yea i guess cookies are used for that eh. I thought firefox moved on from that and they use something different from cookies
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm

No, cookies are still the safest way to stay logged in AT ALL while browsing a site. Even if you tell the browser to remember your password, it still has to use cookies while you browse it for that session. The only other way is using session IDs stored in the URL (ever noticed sites that have something like "s=" or "sid=" followed by some big code in every URL) and those are a lot more prone to hacking. If you pass that link on to someone else and they access it shortly afterwards, they'll find themselves logged in as you. Cookies use session IDs too but they aren't stored in the URL, which makes them less prone to being passed around. You may have read about XSS attacks. They invariably involve using JavaScript to somehow obtain someone's session ID but any site with half decent security prevents this from being done.
Last edited by Chewi on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephanie
Solider

Post by Stephanie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:48 pm

I honestly don't understand how it works, I'm not a computer guro. I just know, that I delete cookies with every session, yet my passwords do not get deleted.

Yes becky I do use Moxilla Firefox.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:03 am

I'm just trying to stamp out the last of the "cookies are evil" brigade. There was a lot of scaremongering about them around 2000 because they were new and kind of scary from a user perspective. But they really are the best option we've got. You just have to make sure they don't get stolen, which can only happen using site hacks (which can be prevented) or if your computer itself gets hacked (and then cookies would be the least of your worries). Some regard them as a threat to their privacy because they leave a trail of where you've been around the net even after you clear your history and cache but if you're that paranoid, you can clear them at the end of a session like you do. Certainly no point in disabling them entirely.
Last edited by Chewi on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:44 pm

nut they are evil, wow name something after a amazing taste biscult lol. Yea i was gettin myself mixed up my bad, its all these nights shifts fuckin my brain whatever left of it that is. I get that bored i start lookin at the nurtiluation tables on the cerials and where all the bottle of wines for and i laugh at the names of them
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 pm

Chewi wrote:I'm just trying to stamp out the last of the "cookies are evil" brigade. There was a lot of scaremongering about them around 2000 because they were new and kind of scary from a user perspective. But they really are the best option we've got. You just have to make sure they don't get stolen, which can only happen using site hacks (which can be prevented) or if your computer itself gets hacked (and then cookies would be the least of your worries). Some regard them as a threat to their privacy because they leave a trail of where you've been around the net even after you clear your history and cache but if you're that paranoid, you can clear them at the end of a session like you do. Certainly no point in disabling them entirely.
It's all these paedophiles that need to be worried about cookies.