Oh BOY!

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:35 pm

oddly enough my heat problem dosn't come from my processor, but from my hard drives. I'm using one of those window fans to cool down the box. Course i DO have 3 hard drives in there with no space between them, but still it just seems weird.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:04 pm

Super Goat Weed wrote:oddly enough my heat problem dosn't come from my processor, but from my hard drives. I'm using one of those window fans to cool down the box. Course i DO have 3 hard drives in there with no space between them, but still it just seems weird.
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?...=0&tid=ak-hd-bl
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:36 pm

considering heat has become a huge issue over the past few years...

why don't 'they' just redesign the basic layout of things?
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:48 pm

It just depends. Get a decent case and you don't need to worry about heat. My case as 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans.

the 775 processor design is designed with heat in mind.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:34 am

Or you can do what Edward and his best mate do and remove the outer cases from the tower. Dunno, but it makes no fucking difference with mine.
Last edited by Squirrel on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:23 am

FunkyBacon wrote:Well 2 questions. First how is it for gaming, and second... what does that translate roughly to in $$?
Well, I'm guessing about $1100, and Macs were never made so much for gaming . . . however you can definitely get the power from it (RAM and what not), and the new ones have a 2600 ATI Radeon graphics card I think, but PCs will probably be better for gaming in the end. However, it is nice to have those Dual Core processors inside, and being able to switch between the Mac OS and Windows whenever you want. Maybe I can finally continue to play the ROMs I left on my old Compaq back home, :D
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:24 am

Are you implying that you can't play the ROMs in OS X? What kind of ROMs are they?
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:44 am

Their components are going to get fucked extremely quickly.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:28 pm

No, I have TONS of games I've already been playing for a while (with their saves), and I can't play SNES9x on a Mac OS. And what components are going to get fucked quickly?
FunkyBacon
Trainee

Post by FunkyBacon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:54 pm

Ok, well my issue has been solved. it was that chintsy plastic pop clip design to attach the CPU sink to the MB. They were not in properly so i had to remove the whole damn MB and force them in from both sides... it even bows the motherboard slightly, which I am told is what is supposed to happen. When i reinstalled everything, now ambient temp is 33C and when power gaming it gets up to about 42-44. MUCH better performance.

I also pulled the jumped from my hard drive that was limiting it to 1.5Gb/s and it's running at 3Gb/s. My day just keeps getting better and better.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:02 pm

I've never heard of a jumper that does something like that to a hard drive.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:31 pm

FunkyBacon wrote:Ok, well my issue has been solved. it was that chintsy plastic pop clip design to attach the CPU sink to the MB. They were not in properly so i had to remove the whole damn MB and force them in from both sides... it even bows the motherboard slightly, which I am told is what is supposed to happen. When i reinstalled everything, now ambient temp is 33C and when power gaming it gets up to about 42-44. MUCH better performance.

I also pulled the jumped from my hard drive that was limiting it to 1.5Gb/s and it's running at 3Gb/s. My day just keeps getting better and better.
Ohhhh, might need to do that myself!
FunkyBacon
Trainee

Post by FunkyBacon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:54 pm

Chewi wrote:I've never heard of a jumper that does something like that to a hard drive.
It's a compatibility thing. It is a SATA drive, and old SATA boards support what is now being called SATA1 which has a transfer rate of 1.5Gb/s. Newer Motherboards have come out with support for SATA2, which has a faster 3.0Gb/s transfer rate. Much like USB1/2 the plugs are all the same of course. This particular hard drive has a limiting jumper on it to make it compatible with older MBs running only SATA1, and by removing the jumper you switch it to SATA2 and allow it a faster transfer rate.

Of course I did not know any of this until Tuesday, the radio show I do is listened to by a veritable army of supergeeks who love talking about PC hardware, and I have been heavily educated over the last week thanks to them.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Ah yeah, I've vaguely heard about the SATA 1/2 thing. I was going to get a second SATA drive for this machine until I found out it only takes one. Dammit.

Out of interest, does your machine have IDE at all? I would expect so, I don't think they've gone SATA with DVD drives yet and I think all IDE controllers can handle two drives, which would leave room for a spare old hard drive if you have one.
Last edited by Chewi on Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:17 pm

Mine has IDE. But Windows keeps telling me that it's safe to remove my hardware. Dammit it's fine where it is!