Recycling and Eco Friendly

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 21, 2007 6:09 pm

in order to produce the same amount of poweryou need to have hundreds of thousands of them and they're an eyesore.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 21, 2007 6:34 pm

I actually do agree with Mik that wind turbines, at least in their present form, are a fanciful solution. There is a plan to cover the Scottish Isle of Lewis in them and I feel really sorry for the islanders. In small quantities, they are bearable but you need so many. But I also think this is all the more reason to make sacrifices at home.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 21, 2007 10:36 pm

We are not to blame! We have very very little choice. What am I supposed to do that will have a huge impact on the environment? I'm sure you using that bag for life for the last year and a half has saved.....fuck all. All those bags you didn't use, someone else did. Do you know who wins with those bags? The environment? No, how? For every one person using a bag for life, those spare bags will be used by someone else. Those bags for life aren't biodegradable and use more plastics than 10 crappy plastic carriers. Who wins? The supermarket, which spends less money on bags. There you go! you've bought into their shitty marketing ploy.

If I blacked out my house every night. The difference would be fuck all. If the entirety of London blacked out every night. I think we'd save enough electricity to say....power London during the day!

I'm god damn SICK of being told that this is on my head. When there isn't anything that I can do that will make a realistic change. Now I'm sure anyone reading this has that snobbish "oh, well, yes of course not, not with that attitude! If we all did it we'd..." shut up. If we all did it, the city centres and other places would STILL waste more electricity in a day than we'd (my house) use in a year. Thus my efforts are wasted. All the power I save, someone else guzzles.

Recycling is rubbish. It costs more money and wastes more resources.

et voilà; Penn and Teller.

Click here to view the YouTube video. Click here again to hide it.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

If we want to make a difference as a species, then the government has to introduce laws backing up what people like Marna and James are doing. Until then, it's on their hands, not ours.
Last edited by Matt on Tue May 22, 2007 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue May 22, 2007 1:27 am

Image Image

And Pen and Teller are freaking awesome.

Funny thing too, there's tree farms all over the place up here, and i've found most people that i talk to about them don't have a clue what they are. Check out the second video in Matt's post.
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Tue May 22, 2007 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue May 22, 2007 3:08 am

did start to come off like hippies for a bit there.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Tue May 22, 2007 9:54 am

well actually matt if it wasnt for our bag for life and us not telling my mum about it she'd not go out and get one and she told her friends and now my whole family more or less uses these bags.
i even given my best mate a coton bag to take to the shops and it had a cute bear on it,last year the princes trust had cotton bags i didnt get one cos they were gone before i walked in the shop.
and the amont of old folk ive seen in the shops say -oh no dear i have a bag already-
and every one on AWA has one or two of these bags hell they made them there self thats even betterand some are made or organic cotton. so i think your numbers are worng and we have saved a whole year and a half of bags thats asdas every night and cos the bag is bigger we can fit two platic bags in one which is at least 500 so do yer sums

and i dont need the gorvement to help me help save the planet im big enough to do something about it.yea it be nice they took there heads out there asses and started doing smething but till then its just thos who do something and speck up about it :angry:
Last edited by Tartan on Tue May 22, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue May 22, 2007 10:48 am

and we sell them and I encourage people to buy them! But a lot of people say they can't be arse!
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Tue May 22, 2007 10:50 am

shame on them
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue May 22, 2007 2:08 pm

But it's hardly their fault, like I keep saying. You cannot expect people to go leaps and bounds when the whole global warming subject is still in debate. Some people just do not believe it.

You're no better than these people for insisting they do things and then thinking less of them for not doing it your way. That's ignorant.

I think it's great that you two make the effort, if it makes you feel better, then power to you. But I'm here to explain that you're making absolutely no difference at all and the big change will come when city centres tone down, we have aeroplanes using an efficient, or better, clean fuel and government legislation enforcing these restrictions.
Last edited by Matt on Tue May 22, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue May 22, 2007 2:39 pm

there's nothing wrong with using plastic bags as long as you have a use for them. I use them all the time to line smaller garbage pails in my house, and when garbage day comes around, i just tie them off and put them on the curb. That, to me, is much better then buying more and wasting even more money and resources.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue May 22, 2007 3:07 pm

Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue May 22, 2007 3:09 pm

Super Goat Weed wrote:there's nothing wrong with using plastic bags as long as you have a use for them. I use them all the time to line smaller garbage pails in my house, and when garbage day comes around, i just tie them off and put them on the curb. That, to me, is much better then buying more and wasting even more money and resources.
That's what we do, too. My room has a bin and I use these bags for it all the time.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue May 22, 2007 3:20 pm

yea we re use our plastic bags too either for bins or dibs nappys lol, be dani does have her bag for life too
Forgetfuldan
Enforcer

Post by Forgetfuldan » Tue May 22, 2007 3:25 pm

Yea I have a tesco bag for life and I bought one of the cancer bags in asda, its bloody good lol. I use them on the small trips to the shops, if i'm doing a big shop i don't mind having a couple of plastic bags cos they are useful for nappies, saves spending 50p on a pack of bags! I don't like the black bags we use for the kitchen bin so I try to change it once a week that way a roll of 40 lasts ages.

We aren't too bad on the whole eco friendly thing, we do have a couple of energy saving lightbulbs now. And we recycle the paper and garden stuff. I have fallen in love with freecycle lol its a great way to get rid of things and get new stuff incase you need a new sofa or something.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue May 22, 2007 4:02 pm

take your bags back to Tesco, they give you a quid's worth of clubcard points for it!

EDIT:

That's another thing, actually. Our house has nothing but those energy saving bulbs.
Last edited by Matt on Tue May 22, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.