Recycling and Eco Friendly

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Stephanie
Solider

Post by Stephanie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:01 am

James unlike you, there are those of us, that can't get by withOUT a car. For me to go anywhere, even a small convenience store, i have to drive to get there. there isn't much public transportation around where i live so that's out fo the question.

As for biking, that would just take too much time out of the day. Things are too far from where I live. I try to make the least amount of trips as possible and that's why when i go grocery shopping, i buy for two weeks instead of a few days.

And I DO Get the plastic bags, but like ben, i use them for all kinds of things...picking up after my dog (instead of buying those expensive poo bags from the pet store i use the bags i get from the grocery store.) I use them as trash liners in my bathroom and bedroom and laundry room. I use them to take lunches to work. So there are plenty of uses for them.

I'm also constantly turning lights off behind myself AND my boyfriend, and as soon as i can afford to buy them, i'm getting the energy lights just can't atm. And I try to use natural light as long as possible during the day along with natural air. but it gets really hot and humid in my state, so I kinda need the AC on during the summer. As to turning things off...my computer i turn off, but it doesn't do any good when my boyfriend refuses to turn off his THREE. but meh I digress.

I also don't use paper that oft. to take notes, I have a dry erase board that i write nots to myself on. and when i do use paper, i use it until there isn't any room left on the piece of paper.

I have an energy saving washer and dryer unit, it saves water AND energy. It was a gift from my granddad. And i only use cold water to do my wash in.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:30 pm

I totally agree with Steph. Living in America, she cannot by without a car because oone shop is miles from another, and so forth. For me I cannot get by without Ed's. I also need the car for baby's sake.

Seriously, it is nearly impossible to travel, on public transport, with a baby, in England, without a car. Buses ARE being converted to easy access, but how many buses STILL have steps? I also feel sorry for the disabled too, but a pregnant woman, or a woman with a baby is pretty much disabled anyway. I've seen it...where they have to take baby out of pram concerning disturbance to the poor soul. Collapse the pram, THEN lug baby and pram onto bus.

Ed often needs the car to get to various jobs he's at. He's a tree surgeon/landscaper. Very much an eco-friendly person like you, James, However, he has, in my theory, learnt there is a yin and yang to everything we do.

Ed wants me to learn to ride a bicycle, but I tell him there is no point. Alot of cycle lanes are blocked by eejit cars that should not be there. Often there are no cycle lanes, making it more dangerous for a cyclist to travel. Also, I am more of a hiker than a rider. I can often get to places quicker with a long, brisk walk...even if it takes me hours. Yet I cannot do that in my present condition. You try lugging a baby inside you and walk down just to the corner shop. You try cycling and being pregnant (lots of women tell me it's virtually impossible). I maybe 6 months pregnant, but I look HUGE, like am gonna pop! LOL.

Also, the price of going eco-friendly is ridiculous. Cheap bulbs use alot of energy. Yet energy saving bulbs cost a fortune. I often find enviromental friendly cleaning products is expensive, and they just don't do the job properly. We all know organic foods are expensive too, and I do plan for baby to have organic food when she is weaning (hell she isn't even gonna drink cows milk, but that's a different topic). Yes a solution is organic farms. But I live in Wythenshawe for Pete's sake! Where the hell am I gonna find an organic farm there? In the middle of Civic Centre? Er I don't think so. I certainly don't think the scallies in Benchill are gonna be much use neither!

And last but not least. The government seems to penalising families rather than businesses. I know why, as like Matt said, capatialism. We are a capitalist country. I don;t like it either. Lots of places now, including where my rents live, have fortnightly collections. They'd be hit with a stealth tax if they didn't recycle. Yet my Dad tells me the recycle truck just drives past. Yes they're are recycle banks too, but it's fucking impractical to lug all your shit around with you, often to find out that recycle banks are full! Yes fucking FULL! Plus, this steatlh tax is not helping the environment what so ever. How many big, lower class families will start fly tipping, or burning rubbish. Quite alot I can tell you. It's already happening here in Peel Hall (where I live). You can tell it's rubbish and not garden matter...it fucking reeks! I don't like it either, but you have to feel sorry for these people.

It should not cost money to save the environment. But it DOES. No matter what you, or anyone else tells me it fucking costs money. What Gordon Brown should do is just get rid of the stealth tax and stop bullying people into recycling. Alot of people are actually willing to recycle, but when you have MPs, Greenpeace or other envirnment associations. People will, and do, rebel.

Also, put it this way. Why shouldn't I throw litter in the fucking streets when roads, citites, buildings etc etc are also a cause for pollution? No I don't throw litter in the countryside. I slap people who even throw a miniscule piece of paper, or a fag end (food is plausible as it degrads and gets eaten by worms). But it annoys when I am constantly told not to drop litter in urban areas where there is more pullution just by people buliding on natures land! /end rant
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:34 am

Forgetfuldan wrote:Taking bags back to tesco, don't you have to sign up for a different clubcard to get the points back? I only have the old blue one not a new one.
Nope you can still use ya exsisting clubcard. Although you phone Clubcards helpline (on the back of ya card) to issue a new one and all ya exsisting points gets transferred to the new one. So when you get ya new one get rid of the old one, coz it'll be invalid. You'll get keyfobs too though ^^ it's great when you lost ya card! But being a tesco employee I gets my points AND 10% discount :P
Chewi wrote:Great, so now we have an ice sheet the size of Jersey floating freely away from the Arctic. Still not convinced yet?
James, ever seen that documentary with David Attenborough about Antartica? It's called Life in the Freezer. Point is there are icebergs that are bigger than the place you were born my dear. It is nothing new and does not nesscelery(sp) mean that this is caused by climate change. This has happened centuries and we didn't get all panicky about it back then!
Last edited by Squirrel on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:01 am

I still love how the solution was to throw a massive global concert that used enough energy to power a small city for a year, all to get us to use slightly lower energy mercury containing light bulbs

As dumb as Bush is, I'm now even more glad i didn't vote for Gore.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:11 am

Yeah, am actally suprised they contain poison, when they are supposed to save the environment and all that shit. I may as well just invest in a load of thermometers! (Okay that was slight exaggeration).
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:05 am

Squirrel wrote:Yet energy saving bulbs cost a fortune.
Rubbish! I saw them in Morrisons for 39p the other day. We got two of ours for free because British Gas were giving them away.

I don't entirely agree with the concert either, it doesn't send out the right message.
Last edited by Chewi on Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forgetfuldan
Enforcer

Post by Forgetfuldan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:32 pm

Yea there was a market on in Perth where if you participated in a survey you got 2 free. We have a couple of energy saving bulbs now and I have vowed that when the next bulb blows it will be replaced with an energy saving bulb.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:41 pm

Chewi wrote:Rubbish! I saw them in Morrisons for 39p the other day. We got two of ours for free because British Gas were giving them away.

I don't entirely agree with the concert either, it doesn't send out the right message.
I am pretty sceptical to cheap "energy saving lightbulbs". I wonder what chemicals are used in them. Mind you, I don't have to pay for my energy saving lightbulbs my Dad buys them for us...yeah yeah I know I am still Daddy's lil princess :P

Also, I wish Powergen would do that like British Gas. Considering how Powergen is supposed to be more 'eco friendly' and premoting 'reusable energy' and shit.
Last edited by Squirrel on Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:14 pm

its 1 hundred and fucking 10 degrees ourside.

95 in this room

its too late....
game over man!
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:20 pm

Climate change isn't just by mans fault alone....we should just ram corks up cows' backsides.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:58 am

I know.
i figured as much.

to believe in something like that you have to disregard the several ice ages that have occurred before we could even pollute beyond cutting a nasty fart.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:00 pm

Methane produced by animals isn't really an issue nor really man's fault there have been methane producing creatures on this planet for more than 100million years if you believe the crazy boffins.

it's 15C here and it's been raining all day, I lol at the 'Global' warming.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:26 pm

wasnt suggesting methane was a 'real' threat
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Lastwolf wrote:Methane produced by animals isn't really an issue nor really man's fault there have been methane producing creatures on this planet for more than 100million years if you believe the crazy boffins.
I heard it accounts for something like 20% of Britain's emissions. It sounds crazy but I'm not about to disprove it. I heard one guy say they're working on some genetic modifications to make them less gaseous.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:46 am

sounds like a great idea 0.0

While where at it wihy not just splice up some DNA and make us run only solely vitamn D.