Recycling and Eco Friendly

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Tue May 22, 2007 4:45 pm

Go dani and echo !

for some reason the heads in the puller house didtn bother giving us any colour lid bind left us out,but the whole street par us as them...and we are a tiny block of flats and that means for us we have a 10min walk to the recycle centre. and i pop down a unhappy letter to them they said we d get the two bins but never did..gits.

at least in our new flat there all there woooo !
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue May 22, 2007 5:09 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...n_author_id=322

Like I said earlier. The government is at fault.
Forgetfuldan
Enforcer

Post by Forgetfuldan » Tue May 22, 2007 6:54 pm

Aww Marna that sucks, we didn't have a blue topped bin so I emailed them, they bought one to us the next day but gave it to the neighbour, he complained he didn't ask for it so I emailed them again and they made sure we got one delivered to our door. Kick their asses!

Taking bags back to tesco, don't you have to sign up for a different clubcard to get the points back? I only have the old blue one not a new one.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue May 22, 2007 11:00 pm

Great, so now we have an ice sheet the size of Jersey floating freely away from the Arctic. Still not convinced yet? <_< Admittedly it actually broke away a couple of years ago but I only just found out about it and that should not make it any less significant.

You can go on about how it's big companies that do the real damage but most of these big companies are driven by consumerism, or in other words, us. Vote with your wallets. We buy far too much shit anyway. It sickens me. Which brings me to my next point...
kaos wrote:did start to come off like hippies for a bit there.
Is that really such a bad thing? I think it's something that's been with me since I was a kid but I keep thinking about it more and more these days. I want out. I'm really fucked off the world at the moment, I just want to get out of this fucked up system I seem to be trapped in and do things my own way. Sometimes I tell myself that that would just be running away and what I really should do is stay, shout really loud and hope that people start to listen. I can try, right? If things carry on the way I think they will, they're gonna have to listen before too long. But on the other hand, it might be too late by then. Hell, it might be too late already. Maybe I should just go away and be happy with the fact that I tried to do my bit even if no one else did. On top of that, in some ways, I even want things to go wrong. It's no less than mankind deserves. There are certain groups of people I would really like to see suffer. Unfortunately, the early reports suggest that those in the poorest parts of the world will be hit the hardest. That is a shame. And what of the Earth? I could say that would suffer too but that would probably be arrogant of me as a human. This planet has taken many forms. Its present form isn't necessarily the "right" one because it happens to support us. Then again, it seems to support a lot more life than it did in its other forms and we have yet to find anywhere even remotely like this. If only the planet could be rid of us and us alone.

So if I feel so strongly about all this, why haven't I gone already? I don't know. It's scary. I won't pretend that life outside the box is easy, of course it's not. I probably wouldn't last a minute. I'd love to learn though. Unfortunately survival skills don't get passed around like they used to. I would learn but I feel that in order to have the time and resources to prepare for this, I would need to get my current life in order first. Where can I find the time to do this sort of thing when I'm sat in front of a screen, coding all day, just so I can put food on the table and keep a roof over our heads. I guess that's the system at work. Like I said above, I'm trapped.

It's not very often I write a post as open and honest as this one. I usually find it hard to understand how I feel about these things and find it even harder to express these feelings effectively.
Last edited by Chewi on Tue May 22, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed May 23, 2007 1:17 am

I was imagining everyone barefoot doing all kinda drugs in the park with long hair and dark sunglasses, playing acoustics. talking about free love and peace for all, all the while throwing feces at common military personnel.

hugging trees cuzz we're too high on ecstacy to know any better.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Wed May 23, 2007 3:29 am

James is turning into Barret. He just needs the censored swears now. Can I join you when you go to blow up your first power station? You can black yourself up and I'll attempt to spike my hair.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed May 23, 2007 7:56 am

There ain't no £$"£%!" getting offa' this train we on!.

Great, so now we have an ice sheet the size of Jersey floating freely away from the Arctic. Still not convinced yet?
All that proves is that ice floats in water, which I knew already cause they chill my drinks. Seriously there are people in this world that are convinced the world is still flat, you going to have to do a little better than Ice floats thre for global warming = reality.

The earth has went through several Ice ages and periods of great heat without the intervention of man, infact it's an Ice Age that brought mammals to the forefront of dominance cause homostatus is the fucking win.

Around the time of the dinosaurs and their extinction level event something retarded like 90% of all life died that's a massive loss but the world rebounded. there are animals that live in total darkness at the bottom of the sea and live ontop of vents of magma. Life will go on.

Ohhh and alternate hypothesis for those 'fossil records etc are a myth' people, Wizards did it, Wizards will not stop until you buy more cotton bags so they can send their young wizardlings to wizard college that stuff does not come cheap ya know.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Wed May 23, 2007 11:30 am

Lastwolf wrote:Ohhh and alternate hypothesis for those 'fossil records etc are a myth' people, Wizards did it, Wizards will not stop until you buy more cotton bags so they can send their young wizardlings to wizard college that stuff does not come cheap ya know.
wtf??
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed May 23, 2007 11:55 am

Vote with our wallets, yes, ok. Let's let the entire western civilisation come to a complete stand still as we stop using aeroplanes to get about, refuse to use gas and electricity and ban cars.

There are cleaner burning fuels out there for cars. It should become law to use them and the government should start enforcing this now to begin the process of vast change. It's not like me and you can bring this about on our own by buying bags for life and putting rubbish in our pockets. So what do you suggest we do about that? We cannot vote with our wallets on that one, we need to air our opinions to politicians.

We cannot use our wallets to vote for cleaner electricity. Short of us buying windmill farms or dams. Who really gives a shit if a windmill farm makes the landscape look ugly? Would we rather have that or no land to look at? We need to vote with our heads and push for this kind of thing. Using low watt bulbs isn't going to change that. Like I said, for every watt you don't use, a huge building in the city centre somewhere will use it. Even then, getting these buildings and businesses to use less power doesn't even solve the problem. The problem is where we're getting the power from. Not the fact that we use it.

We need to sort out our airlines. The pollution given off by aeroplanes is the largest contributor to the greenhouse gases and global dimming. What can we do short of refusing to use air travel? How feasible is it to just stop using it, in this day and age?

I'll say it again, the problem isn't me using plastic bags to take my shopping home. Even then, using this bag for life isn't going to change anything. Recycling isn't that cost effective and doesn't cause less pollution. It just means we use less of the materials produced from the cracking procedure for new plastics. The pollution given off from remelting the plastics down, cleaning them and reforming them is no different to that of a new load of plastic being set. Recycling paper seems the only really good thing to come of this discovery of reusing materials. Because if anything, we need more trees to clean the air. They are the best form of attack against CO2.

So, if you want to believe that paying 10p for a bag made from non-biodegradable materials, turning off your hot water and closing your fridge door (who the hell leaves their fridge open anyway? I like my food to stay fresh) is going to make a difference to the environment, then fair play to you. But I'd rather believe that drastic actions will get drastic changes and when someone comes about and makes radical actions to bring about change. I'm sure you'll be smug enough to say "oh, well I did my bit" when in reality you've done nothing to solve the problem and walked right into capitalisms hands. Supporting businesses greed under the guise of "saving the earth's resources" reduced your energy bill, which only serves to help your wallet and doesn't affect the amount of electricity used and used these methods to preach at people who you feel could do more.

You are trying to do your bit and it's commendable. But you do realise it's not doing jack shit to help. The world isn't so fucked up. There are plenty more things that are plenty more fucked other than people not listening to the changes we're going through.

I personally believe we are making the world warmer. I personally believe that I couldn't give a shit about Africa or the poorer countries* I personally believe a man needs to look out for himself and those in his pack. Which is just the problem and a few people refusing to do small things isn't going to make a difference.

(* Survival of the fittest. While we were riding around in our boats and conquering new lands, they were still sucking the soil dry looking for water and dancing around fire. It's a shame, yes and my human compassion compels me to feel bad about their situation, but then reality kicks in and I feel glad I'm not there. Either way, it's not my problem. My problem is where my next meal is coming from, where I'll lay my head tonight and what I'll do to secure the aforementioned in the future. Just like those people in the third world countries. Survival of the fittest and nature cannot afford me to go out of my way to help those people and undercut myself. If that means I need to use a car to drive to work. So fucking be it.)

EDIT:

I'm still sick of being told I can make a difference by obscenely simple methods :(

And GJ Chewi, move into the woods and live like a true wookie. That'll make people stop using fossil fuels. :D
Last edited by Matt on Wed May 23, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed May 23, 2007 12:42 pm

I was hoping for a slightly more positive post from you this time around.

I was going to say that I totally agree that the government needs to apply more pressure but I forgot to mention it.

Saying stuff like "for every watt you don't use, a huge building in the city centre somewhere will use it" is nonsense. What I think you mean to say is that in relative terms, it doesn't make that much difference. That isn't the same thing. Say what you actually mean. I'm making this point because if you stand me next to the 500 or so plastic bags I haven't used, that's actually quite a lot by anyone's standards. That's 500 bags later that the guy in Asda decided to order some more. That's a demand of 500 bags less that the bag makers will have to meet. The bottom line is that they're not going to make vastly more bags than are actually demanded because that would be a waste of their money. I'm bringing that demand down.

I'm not blind to the fact that they have a big ulterior motive when it comes to their environmental initiatives. You should know to give me more credit than that. But even if they're probably not doing as much good as they like to make out, at least they're doing something. Their reason for doing so is irrelevant at the end of the day. If it's a choice between greedy company X and greedy company Y, who has some half-decent initiative going on, I'll go with Y. Of course, my opinions on capitalism are equally strong so I'd rather stay away from the supermarkets altogether. Unfortunately, the choice is extremely limited in Perth, hence why I plan to move somewhere with a good market.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Wed May 23, 2007 1:06 pm

local veg and market stalls! bring it on !
plus the fact they will hardly have any food miles on them and problly much nicer that supermarkets so called fresh crap!
that rots within two days and u dont get eat it. <_<
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed May 23, 2007 2:42 pm

That was kind of positive from me. I just lost the plot halfway through the post and started ranting about governments.

I definately see what you're saying and you're right and I understand that. Company Y with the incentives does seem the better option. But, I think you see what I'm saying, using these bags isn't making that much of a difference nationwide, in that the falling demand for plastic carriers in the supermarket market, isn't going to show governments that people want a cleaner energy source. Which is the root of our problems. Recycling and reusing is a small portion of the big problem. It's this idea that using these bags and what not is helping the big problem, where I find my objection.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu May 24, 2007 7:59 pm

"The truth is that if we continue to generate massive landfill then we will end up generating the emissions that harm our environment."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6685409.stm

I stand corrected!
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:26 am

Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:33 pm

that should read 'easy to argue'

what i really fear happening is that this 'global warming' is part of the earth's natural cycle, and that there's nothing we can do to prevent it. Just like the little ice age in the middle ages. If that's the case, then not only can we not do anything about it, but in spending all this money in trying to prevent it, we'll force ourself into a depression. Now, if everything is all well and good, like he said, that might not be so bad, but if you're getting your ass kicked by nature AND our economy is destroyed, then we'll really be screwed.

THAT'S why we need proof that all this energy and money we're investing in the environment is actually worth it, because if it's not, and we're screwed anyway, then we'll REALLY be screwed