Recycling and Eco Friendly

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Sun May 20, 2007 2:56 pm

This is a topic close to my heart ,most peaple i have met at my work places and out on the street,even my own family they hardly do anything about saving the planet.

~they leave lights on and cant be bother turning them off
~they throw away rubbish and not care or litter the streets.
~they dont bother to re-use things.
~leave things on stand by
~leaving the tap running.
~leaving the fridge door open.
these are just a few i could go on and on...
THE GREAT MOTHER EARTH NEEDS US!!

okay anther thing...we were not given the earth as a persent from any divine being okay the earth was here before us and then we came along and some how got it in our heads over the past 100000000000 odd years that its ours and we can mess it up. <_<

who really wants the landfills over flowing ?the sun to never shine or over heating the planet to a piece of ash?the air so dirty and life barely lives??land disappering under the sea the ice caps gone, all the energyes supples gone ??
no??show of hands any one???? as i thought not many. :angry:
right well i do my bit and i want ya all to help come on it anit that hard turning the tap off while u was ur teeth know!

we all can save energy,recycle be eco friendly its very simple! :P
~energy saving lights!
~turn off the light when you dont need it!
~okay STOP using stand by on stuff and turn off at the plug we are all bad at this one!
~save water by turning the tap off while doing your teeth
~share a bath (which can be fun... ;) )
~a shower saves more water than a bath (you can share that too!!)
~do a CHEWI and turn off the hot water...
~re use paper -u can use the other side.
~use natural cleaners in the house vinager and water are wonderfull!!
~recycle anything and everything you can!
~give to chairty of unwanted stuff
~sign up at free cycle
~take the bike to work or use public transport

as i said this is close to my heart as i feel and see the planet pain.all i want is help from peaple me and chewi are doing our bit so why arent we all doing this and more?
Last edited by Tartan on Sun May 20, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun May 20, 2007 2:59 pm

Aurora wrote:~do a CHEWI and turn off the hot water...
Yeah you were really happy about that. :P Seriously though, it's one of the best ideas I've ever had. As long as you have a heated shower and washing machine, you'll hardly notice the difference. Or you can just have cold showers and wash by hand. We're not quite that dedicated though. :mellow:
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Sun May 20, 2007 3:16 pm

GLOBAL WARMING FACTS:
The number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes has almost doubled in the last 30 years.
Malaria has spread to higher altitudes in places like the Colombian Andes, 7,000 feet above sea level.
The flow of ice from glaciers in Greenland has more than doubled over the past decade.
At least 279 species of plants and animals are already responding to global warming, moving closer to the poles.
If the warming continues, we can expect catastrophic consequences.
Deaths from global warming will double in just 25 years -- to 300,000 people a year.
Global sea levels could rise by more than 20 feet with the loss of shelf ice in Greenland and Antarctica, devastating coastal areas worldwide.
Heat waves will be more frequent and more intense.
Droughts and wildfires will occur more often.
The Arctic Ocean could be ice free in summer by 2050.
More than a million species worldwide could be driven to extinction by 2050.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 21, 2007 12:02 am

Never realised vinegar was natural.

I'm a pain for some of those. I, however, do not throw my rubbish away in the streets. I put it in my pockets. I hate that. The tap in our house is fucked. I've been bitching at my mother for years to get a plumber to look at it, but she's scared of the cost. I turn TV's off, but I leave my Stereo on standby. It has a low power consumption sticker on it and the manual said it uses about a watt to run on standby.

I don't think this "OMG STOP GWOBAL WARBLE FROM YOUR HOMES" thing is all that. It's big businesses that need to crack down so bad, not us. These data centres and head offices. All leave lights, computers and other office equipment switched on and even running. Those are the main culprits. Even my work, a small convience shop leaves it's outside lights, inside lights (not all, but enough), computers and tills all running and wasting energy. Simply because starting them up in the morning is a job that middle aged women can't handle. This is the shit that pisses me off the most. We're all harassed at home about global warming by the government and it's mostly them that's to blame. Slap some taxes on this kind of thing, that'll stop the capitalist arseholes.
Last edited by Matt on Mon May 21, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon May 21, 2007 2:09 am

i actually agree with Matt on this one. I'm all for being more environmentally friendly, but I'm sick of the stupid scare tactics.

I would love to see some links for some of those points. Deaths from global warming will double in just 25 years -- to 300,000 people a year? What the hell does that even mean? how do you die from global warming?

Polar ice caps melt... and freeze again. It happens ALL THE TIME. If all they did was freeze, we'd have a real problem.

For all we know, and most scientists will admit this. we know NOTHING about if this is part of the earths natural cycle or not. nobody blames global warming for the dust bowl, or the extinction of the dinosaurs, but all these were significant, natural, environmental changes. How do we know this isn't more of the same?

And don't forget about global cooling That scare tactic that ran during the 50's and 60's. For all we know, the earth may be recovering from that and THIS is the normal environment. Hell, what is normal anyway? do we even know? maybe the whole planet was supposed to be tropical. I remember hearing that growing up. Theory was that the earth originally had a more even, tropical temperature, which was the kind of environment needed for large lizards like dinosaurs to thrive.

I've actually heard another compelling theory that all this is nothing more then a tactic to keep less industrialized countries at the bottom of the pole, and frankly, i might actually agree to that. Think about it: How do you stop developing country from becoming competition? Outlaw the technology that could get them there.

Again, I do NOT think that we should be wasteful, or pollute and destroy the planet. Nor will i say that humans are doing their job well as the planet's caretakers, BUT, I do not think we can run around spreading fear based on a half brained theory that our planet is getting ruined when we don't know what our planet's ideal environment is to begin with, or if there even IS an ideal. There was an ice age remember? What was the problem there? not enough pollution? NO, it was what was NATURAL. So yes, turn off your lights, and you water, and stop wasting paper and throwing your freaking trash out the window, but stop the freaking fear mongering too. That's pollution of a different kind, and just as disgusting and destructive.

(i'm a big fan of the share the shower idea by the way ;) )
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Mon May 21, 2007 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 21, 2007 2:24 am

Super Goat Weed wrote: how do you die from global warming?

South Park did a brilliant episode on this :D
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon May 21, 2007 2:38 am

you have to hit wallets.

I know thats always been the case with my family.
Theirs a lot of things we do not cuzz we really care so much, but more cuzz of it making the bills cheaper.

I did get one of those low energy lights on tho.
but honestly only cuzz it looked cool. its proven itself tho, it refuses to die, its brighter, and cheaper to use. whole house has them now.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon May 21, 2007 2:59 am

you know those contain mercury right? if you break one be very careful cleaning it up. I only use them in utility areas for that reason, like my basement, garage, laundry room, and closets. You can't dim them either, so i can't use them on any of the lights with dimmer switches. Funny how they spout off on how much better they are for then environment when they contain freaking poison.
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Mon May 21, 2007 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon May 21, 2007 3:18 am

Ben, how often do you break bulbs?

butterfingers.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 21, 2007 9:21 am

The mercury thing surprised me so I looked it up.
Beyond the issue of cost, one common consumer concern is that fluorescent lamps contain trace quantities of mercury, whilst incandescent bulbs do not contain any. This would appear to suggest that incandescent bulbs release less mercury into the environment.

On the contrary, the Lighting Industry Federation (LIF) has reported that the extra quantity of mercury emissions from burning fossil fuels in power stations to power incandescent lamps is three times the amount contained in equivalent energy efficient lamps.

Significantly, a CFL has the distinct advantage that its mercury can be collected and recycled, unlike atmospheric pollution. Power stations also produce sulphur and nitrogen oxides which contribute to 'acid rain'.

Specially-designed, but difficult to obtain, energy-saving bulbs can also be used with dimmer switches, and it is my experience that the light quality and warming up times of standard CFLs have improved dramatically in recent years.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4922496.stm
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 am

I'm all for it but it's really not gonan make much difference until something happens on a global scale.

It's difficult to get hard data, on global warming and nearly every scientist is bias in one way or the other. One of the funniest things I've heard in a long time but also quite true is that it's global warming is a result in the declining population of Pirates. I remember hearing it's hard to get funding for research but if you mention global warming it instantly becomes much easier. I want to research Bats ....and their effect on Global warming.

I don't like the idea of the stick approach either, like tax the fuck out of fuel and cars and stuff, which they already do to try and get people to use the shit and expensive public transport system. Maybe they shouldn't tax for shit that's more enviromental.

Reducing your 'carbon' footprint (carbon is one of the weakest greenhouse effects buy the way) is all gravy but you draw aqll your power from a powerplant which expells a shit load more than you can ever save. It's akin to try to stop the Titanic sinking by throwing the water overboard with a bucket. Not to mention 1 Volcano produces a fuck ton of greenhouse gases.

The World has been hotter than it is now, animals have been going extinct for millions of years, yes we effect the world we live in but unless we act as one, which won't happen until we fuck it up to catastrophic levels.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Mon May 21, 2007 1:12 pm

there is a recent scientists report where a bunch of brainy dudes all got together and ALL agreed that Gobal warming is happing and we are to blame you me and jimmy bob over the road.
but is not just the gobal warming problems its also about the energy being wasted and used up and other matters.

im am happy for those whom do there bit and disapointed in those whom dont give a shit.
YES big big companys are the worst and should be hit by green peace and tree huggers and eco friendly folk.and hell tax them too as they do the worse damage!

my work is bad at throwing out papper to my disgust and leaving lights on and printers photo copyiers on.or plastic bags i hate plastic bags!!why cant shops give us cotton bags?there eco friendly stronger and re used more than a shite plastic bag!...rants on.

anyhows the only reason peaple refer to the fear factor it to get our and the big companies attention.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 21, 2007 3:02 pm

Our bags are 100% biodegradable. And I wish we could print receipts on request, that would make me happier.

And I'll not move on this one. The Government is to blame, not us. Why are there no windmill farms? Because it's too expensive. Why this, why that? Too expensive. But surely the cost is worth it? Not to them, there's a war to pay for. We know Aerosols are harmful to both us and the environment, why aren't they banned?

I could leave my TV on all night if the sources were renewable. We could leave all the lights on we wanted if the sources are renewable. But we must buy our electricity from sources that come from fossil fuels, because short of buying solar panels at huge costs, we have to. So I'll say it again, it's on the hands of the government, who are happy to tell us how we should live our lives, but all too willing to insist this is our problem.

Throwing away rubbish in the streets doesn't contribute to global warming, either. It just makes the place look untidy and means more money spent on paying cleaners.

EDIT:

And scientists have been wrong.

However, if global warming is a factor. Then it's a serious one. Global dimming is a proven subject. It is the process of the earth getting less sunlight. Which means we should be better cooler. But we're getting warmer, which shows how strong that effect is.. If we tackled global dimming, we'd be practically fucked.
Last edited by Matt on Mon May 21, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 21, 2007 3:21 pm

We've actually used the same Asda "bag for life" for over a year and half now and it's still just as strong as it was when we got it. I dread to think how many plastic bags we would have used instead. I can't get my head around why more people don't use them. I have actually worked myself into a mentality where I get quietly agitated every time I see a family going past with a trolley full of plastic bags.

On top of that, half of them are probably within walking distance of the place, yet they still insist on doing a huge shop with the car. The other day, Marna and I walked there and Dani left from here at the same time in the car. We got there just before she did. She was only supposed to buy one thing and we had a bunch of things to get but we managed to get back home before she had even left. :lol: The more that people tell me I need a car, the more stubborn I am about not getting one. :P
Last edited by Chewi on Mon May 21, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Mon May 21, 2007 3:43 pm

also one reason that we have no wind farms is the fact some peaple dont want them and it will scar the land scape i for one am for it and think if we can use the power of nature to help suppley us with energy so be it.

also rubbish does cos alot of environment problems, <_<
it can end up killing animals and birds and fish and pets and wildlife shrubs also if u actully think about where that crisp packet goes after someone dropping it on the street it gets hopefully picked up by a bin man pop into into the trash into a truck *that gives off fumes and gases* that travels off to a land fill or worse illegal dumping in flieds and wood land.then over the years the rubbish piles up spills out and kills the earth plants animals shrubs that make our planet anything butgreen.dont sound nice at all know do it?? :(

the Goverment are not only to blame WE ALL ARE and i have changed my ways~i have joined green peace and the tree huggers on line i now try to buy orangic or eco friendly stuff.may it be one change a day or more it better than anything
Us humas are to easy at blameing others why not you all stand up and face the planet and save it.
my group of friends at AWA all do there best by recycling re useing energy saveing or protesting to save our great mother so why cant we all spread the word on how important it is to admit it and deal with it fix it and help it?
Last edited by Tartan on Mon May 21, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.