Downloading stuff online . ..

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon May 14, 2007 8:36 am

Well, it happened to Napster and a few other places in the past . . . how soon do you think, or how much longer do you think Bit torrent will be around before the big companies find out about it and put a stop to it?
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon May 14, 2007 9:54 am

I thought that would happen eventually...

However.
recently I found my self using it for legit stuff.

the official LOTRO beta was circulated via torrent, they offered regular download as well, but they clearly recommended you use the torrent instead.

A shitload of Gaming sites are using it to put out game videos, they also recommend the use of it.

I've also been to a few music sites that have also recommend it.

The biggest impact comes from the LOTR thing obviously.
If more companies start using it circulate legit content like that.
then I doubt theirs much anybody can/will do to shut it down.

I can easily see torrent links on the websites of major game companies trying to circulate a demo become the norm.

maybe even so much so that it gets built in as a standard feature in a web browser...if it inst already.
Last edited by kaos on Mon May 14, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 14, 2007 9:56 am

where have you been ?

Isohunt is currently fighting a legal battle and has recently moved all their servers to Canada, to avoid further MPAA meddling they have hired lawyers and vow to fight the decision to the hilt.

This is after the previous big dog Supernova got shut down like two years ago. The problem with torrent sites is it's almost impossible to kill, you take out the head and it's like a hydra. Killing Supernova just cleared the way for Isohunt and Pirate Bay to gain more popularity.

Torrenting is dogs bollicks of downloding everyone uses it now, it's become the premiere method of distributing software and large files via the internet, most MMO's now use it for patches as opposed to the previous method of direct download which usually meant shittty transfer rates for all.
Last edited by Mik on Mon May 14, 2007 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Mon May 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Yeah, a lot of companies use it because it saves them a huge amount of bandwidth and takes the strain off their servers. Plus the more people using a torrent means the faster it will share, as opposed to the more people directly downloading from a site slowing it down. I think it will just get more commonly used as the internet is getting faster all the time, with heavier downloads.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 14, 2007 1:11 pm

You can't really stop torrents themselves because there is no central server for all torrents. All a torrent needs is a tracking server and anyone can run one of those. For torrents of general stuff, you need somewhere to get the torrent files from in the first place, like the Pirate Bay. These are the only places that can really be targetted but the Pirate Bay has proved to be extremely hard to kill. They now have several mirror servers around the world simply serving as backups in case the main site gets taken down.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 14, 2007 3:05 pm

It think the only time they where down was went they did it themselves as an april fools joke.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 14, 2007 3:18 pm

I think the legality pertaining to illegal sharing is an issue that needs addressing. While I'm happy to download software, music and games for free. I think given an affordable and reasonable price people wouldn't mind using and paying for it all the same as they are now. Of course if there is such a system implemented and it's a fair one, there will still be illegal downloading. But then if there is a fair way of doing this and people still download without paying, it practically authorises the MPAA and RIAA in their lawsuits. I personally wouldn't mind then pursuing action, then. But as it stands now, I vehemently stand against it and them because they're breaking laws themselves and being entirely unreasonable about the entire subject. It's like that school teacher who just won't compromise.

What would you class as fair reasonable?

I'd class fair and reasonable something that takes into consideration a number of factors:
  • People already pay for the internet and some even pay based on bandwidth usage or have limited bandwidth. People don't want to pay nearly a full price for a download that they are already paying for the liberty of using. I'd also state that RIAA or MPAA seeking royalties from ISP's if they take that into consideration, isn't acceptable.
Relating to music
  • People are just getting a file/album of their own choosing. Not a CD case with a booklet or something proper and official. This should be reflected in the price. I'm not paying near full price for that which isn't as good.
  • I've seen it suggested that the file quality could reflect the price, also. I think this is a sound idea. Some people love huge files, some people don't.
  • People should then be able to do as they want with these files, in relation to make CD's or copying them from computer to computer. DRM harms the end user. But I do think, perhaps there should be a way to limit illegal distribution. But then that is harmful, too. As the sending of files from person to person does in fact help spread the word and get people into new things - I personally benefit this way and have albums to prove it. Albums I wouldn't have had if things were still done the traditional way.
Relating to films

There isn't much I can say on films. I've found that practically everything released these days is a total load of shit that only idiots enjoy. That sounds very elitist, I know. But I'm not interested in fast cars driving around at break neck speeds for an hour and a half. I hope I can be forgiven. I'd say similar principals should apply to the downloading of films, but the sharing will be a grey area. Once someone sees a film they've downloaded, it's not going to be overly likely they'll want to buy it because they've seen it and won't want to see it again for a while. That also works in reverse, though. People do want to buy DVD's or go to the cinema after they've seen a pirated film. I personally downloaded Borat the night before I went to go to see it at the cinema.

In conclusion. DVD's need to be cheaper on release. Some retail at £20 ($40) and that is a ridiculous price to pay. £10 is fine and even better with "2 for £15" sort of offers.

Relating to games

Games developers are actually talking of taking price levels even higher. This is outrageous. £50 for a new game is pathetic and unaffordable. However...
  • If they plan to higher the price of their games. Perhaps offering them as downloadable ISO's at discounted price is a good option. People can use their own media storage as they see fit. Consoles could be able to play the media directly from their hard drive, too.
I dunno why the bullet points. They seemed like a good idea to start with.

It's all a very grey area and it needs working on. It seems these companies are taking these things into consideration. Recently some Dream Theater songs were officially released to fans as a teaser. However it wasn't made easy. It seems to me that these companies are everything that embodies a sleezy capitalist state. Money grabbing and uncaring. Proud of their caste and inherent wealth. They see people getting things for free as an attack on their social standing, because it stops their luscious income. These people in charge are rather wealthy and they get their money from people who skint themselves overpaying on their products.

At the end of the day, torrents are an innovation and a fantastic idea. Not one we're likely to see disappear, more likely to be improved upon.
Last edited by Matt on Mon May 14, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon May 14, 2007 4:42 pm

Well didnt Microsoft take interest in bit torrent too? I thought that how there were gonna start gettin there patches dones?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 14, 2007 4:59 pm

I think to get a movie off Itunes costs almost the same as a DVd and you don't get any of the cool extras .. fuck off tbh. i think It should be treated in the same price range as pay per view.

Games are getting overpriced but the costs go up cause everyone sings from the EA hymn sheet.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 14, 2007 6:16 pm

EchoPark wrote:Well didnt Microsoft take interest in bit torrent too? I thought that how there were gonna start gettin there patches dones?
Not sure if that's still happening but Opera has a built-in torrent client.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 14, 2007 8:05 pm

it's fucking terrible and you can't turn it off.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon May 14, 2007 8:24 pm

I hadnt thought about not being able to turn it off.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 14, 2007 8:25 pm

Lastwolf wrote:it's fucking terrible and you can't turn it off.
I haven't tried it because I use Azureus. All you have to do to work around it is right click on the torrent link and choose Save As.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon May 14, 2007 8:35 pm

I use azureus too.
But still I think id like something that was a little bit more streamlined or dumbed down or whatever.

maybe just something that was a little more compact.
like the Firefox download manager.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon May 14, 2007 10:58 pm

Bit Tornado is compact but no manger which is a shit. I use utorrent.