Your Ancestry

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:21 am

I've been meaning to talk about ancestry for a while but never really got round to it. Bacon used to taunt me for trying to deny my own French roots and now he's here again, I feel inspired to get this topic started.

I learnt a lot more about my ancestry a couple of years ago. Some of it was quite startling. It turns out that my roots stem back to two places in particular on both my Mum's and my Dad's side. Wales and most promimently, France. Yes. Despite the fact that my mother was not born in Jersey like my father, I now know that I have equally strong connections to France on her side. There's no denying it now. <_<

For those of you who don't know, the reason I denied my French roots so strongly was not so much because they're the country that everyone loves to hate but because in 1994, a band of French fisherman and their families invaded a small reef of rocks that I'm very protective over due to having spent a lot of my childhood there. Over the years, I came to accept that it wasn't the action of France as a country but of a bunch of greedy fishermen who happened to be French. I was pretty much forced to drop the remainder of my grudges when I went to live in France for nine months in 2003-2004.

I'll go into more detail about my ancestry later. It's interesting because it includes a somewhat important historical figure! But you know, I think most people are related to someone interesting, they just don't realise it. Does anyone here know anything interesting about their ancestry?
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:25 am

You know about as much as I do.

So I'm Legitly mysterious.
I could be a government experiment, and nobody would ever know.
How cool is that!?

anyway its obvious to see which way I lean via my signature etc.
apparently most tribes claim to have originated from around that area.

this week I'm Abyssinian.
but most times nomadic Beja which generally live nowhere and everywhere all over the sahara and then some
Last edited by kaos on Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:58 am

I remember your journal entry about Egypt. Unfortunately it's pretty hard tracing things back that far but if you can go back as far as the early 19th century or so (I've roughly managed to go back to 1810), you can get a pretty good idea because people didn't move around so much before that. When they did, it was usually a historic event.
Last edited by Chewi on Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:05 am

i cant even get that far back
while U admit it would be nice, part of me enjoys not being so defined.

atleast now anyway.
Last edited by kaos on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:11 am

Yeah I didn't mean to sound like it's easy, of course it isn't. I'm just lucky because some other relatives had already done the hard work for me.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:12 am

If you trace it back the English and Scottish that came over and settled in Ulster somewhere between 1610 and 1800 I don't have exact records nor have I bothered to find out, I can figure that over the last 100-150 years atleast that we're are native to the country.

If we go back before that the Clan came from St. Andrews area of Scotland, My crazy grandfather always claimed we had viking blood, it's unlikely but given the time periods in Scotland near the sea, a possiblity. And too far back to really be considered but that didn't stop him.

After a bit of research today perhaps I was mistaken;

The lands named Kinnear are near Wormit in the kingdom of Fife. Black lists Symon, son of Michael, giving land from his holdings at Cathelai to the church of St Andrews.
Origin Displayed: Scottish

The members of the current generation of the Kinnear family have inherited a name that was first used hundreds of years ago by the people of the ancient Scottish tribe called the Picts. The Kinnear family lived in the lands of Kinnear, which lie near Wormit in the county of Fife. The surname Kinnear belongs to the category of habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.

Spelling variations of this family name include: Kinnear, Kynnier, Kynnair, Kenneir, Kinner, Kinnier, MacEnir and many more.

First found in Fifeshire where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.

Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John and Elizabeth Kinner settled in New York in 1774; with sons Nicholas and Anthony and daughter Elizabeth; David Kinnear arrived in Philadelphia in 1844.
Image Image
Last edited by Mik on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:50 pm

MacEnir, hehe. Seriously though, that's awesome. I want a crest. :P Echo lives down that way, if you ever wanted to check it out even more, he could probably give you a hand. Marna's pretty sure she's Scottish through and through, which is probably true, but she hasn't got a clue which clan she came from.
Last edited by Chewi on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephanie
Solider

Post by Stephanie » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:06 am

my granddad has done a family tree..but i've never looked at it. so i haven't a clue what my roots are other than that i have irish, scottish, and english, along w/ some charokee in me.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:13 am

My feet are anglo saxon or something. I dunno.
Akiko
Trainee

Post by Akiko » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:45 pm

I'm Irish, German, and from what i'm told, Native American (but everyone says that, so I dont beleive it)
The name Slaven is a shorted verson of O'Slaven or slavin which means Mountain in Gealic from what ive read.
Although im germish- german irish, I cant hold alhichol at all. I get sick after drinking a half a wine cooler. .... or a cup of sake. :wacko:
However. I'm immune to sunburns. I turn red, but it turns to a tan.. B) :fingers: .. I've been told thats the native american part of me but i'm not sure about that. :mellow:
Narren7
Solider

Post by Narren7 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:25 am

Meh I'm mostly Irish/Native American 2 diff tribes Cherokee, Apache (dads side.)
French/Native American 3 diff tribes Comanche, Sioux, Cheyenne (moms side.)
Few others tossed in here and there like German/Russian etc lol

And quite frankly in dog terms, I'd really be considered a damn mutt. :lol:
makoman
Civillian

Post by makoman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:37 am

I'm pretty much pure french, 2 twin brothers came to Canada during the settlement days and the name Gagnon just carried on
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:39 am

1/2 Hispanic

1/2:
Irish
Scottish
Welsh
English
Native america.

So basiclly, I'm half mutt, half hispanic
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:50 am

As God, aren't you all things ?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:01 pm

All these Native Americans! How far back do you really have to go back to find hard evidence of that?