Time Travel

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:28 am

That had crossed my mind while reading this thread.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:38 am

is it not that they see in more frames per second ? like the human eye can only really distingush 22 FPS or something and they can do something crazy like 40.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:44 am

There's a theory that human beings "slow down time" in that manner too in times of distress. Like stepping out in front of a car for example.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

yeah, when the adrenaline kicks in suddently mild mannered Joe hanslip becomes, the defender of truth justice and the british way

but yeah, the scene in spider-man 1, where he dodges the punch wasnt too far off.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:00 pm

Lastwolf wrote:is it not that they see in more frames per second ? like the human eye can only really distingush 22 FPS or something and they can do something crazy like 40.
That's exactly it. It seems plausible. I mean why not? And maybe it varies for a lot of creatures but flies more than others.
PWX
Scavenger

Post by PWX » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:16 am

This is a bit off-topic, but speaking of time travel I read an interesting article in Time magazine a while back

It claimed that the human mind time travels.

It came about with them trying to explain why a humans brain activity goes down when a person is focused on something. They said as your brain is pulled into the present it uses less of your brains power. But when you're not focused on something you're constantly revisiting the past and going into the future

If you think about it, it's true. When we're not focused on something we're either thinking back to something we did or something we're going to do. We don't live in the present like any other animal does. We're constantly thinking about things that have happened or will happen.

Of course this probably isn't time travel as we see it, it does kind of make you realize something.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:30 am

At first, I was thinking that's just the same as the fly thing but then I read it properly. I don't consider thinking about the future to be anything special. I'm sure animals do it, at least in the short term.

If you want to see the fly thing discussed above applied to a human, try taking Speed... or just take my word for it. :lol: Not that I've taken it myself but someone who used to post here did once and he told me all about it.
Last edited by Chewi on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:44 am

I like the idea.
and i like how it explains the present and the past.

but I think when it comes to the future it kinda falls apart.

still a nice idea tho.
Icefire
Trainee

Post by Icefire » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:32 am

point in fact though it does keep a firm explanation on the future part. humans are always thinking of the many possibilities any number of things could happen at any given moment in the future. you could be thinking of how you're next meeting with a boss is going to go from making a good impression to royally screwing up where you lose your job. that's the whole thing when it comes to the future, you don't know exactly what's going to happen but the mind is providing all the possibilities it can before the said event. who's to say one of those possibilities couldn't happen? or for that matter perhaps they all happen but just in different realities for lack of a better term.

considering the human brain only functions at a percentage of what it's capable of, there's really no real way to tell exactly what it's doing. perhaps "time travel", perhaps experiencing different lives from other realities of yourself or just downright imagination at it's best trying to put meaning to life in a way that it doesn't all seem so dull, dreary and boring.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:00 am

I disagree that animals don't do the same thing. Although, we largely want to see animals as purely instinct driven, who's to say that they don't remember the last good hunt or think about the hunt ahead, alot of complex behaviour, especailly hunter/ prey relationship pretaining stuff, has to be taught, even in the animal world.

You either think about as an action or it's reflex based, if they have to think then they are capable of the same form of 'time travel'
Last edited by Mik on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:44 pm

Icefire wrote:who's to say one of those possibilities couldn't happen? or for that matter perhaps they all happen but just in different realities for lack of a better term.
cuzz after every meeting theirs two hot chicks in a street legal el camino/tank hybrid waiting to to give me head. one of them is a clown and one of them is straight out of a blaxploit movie.

in short. I just dont think day dreams can be counted.