Chewi! Can you help me with a computer question?

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:17 pm

I know that you might not be able to help me out (for starters I use a Mac), but I'll just throw this out there.

So I went to a website that said I had to download the new Flash player 9 . . . so I decided "Hey, I might as well do it". So I download it, I install it . . . and now half of the content I view on the web doesn't seem to work now. It could be in banners, or videos won't download . . . and also at websites with flash content it just plain doesn't work. Instead there is a Quicktime symbol with a question mark on it.

Do you think this could be because lots of the content on the web still use Flash 8 player? Or did I really mess something up by installing this? I checked my quicktime settings and it's not set for Flash content or anything, so I wonder if I can just regress to a previous setting on my computer so this is all fucked up. However, could it also be fixed by just using Firefox instead of Safari? Where do I download that browser btw? Or would you recommend Mozilla? Perhaps the flash will work on that . . .

Anyways I hope you or SOMEBODY could give me advice.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:51 pm

I think Flash or maybe macromedia got bought out a while back, I can't remember but they should still be reverse compatable.

The Quicktime sybol suggests maybe you need to update quicktime too.

try installing the new flash player again as well.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:12 pm

Heh funny you should mention Flash, I've been working with it extensively the past couple of weeks. Flash is totally backwards compatible all the way to version 1 so it should work. The Flash plugin usually only consists of one or two files so it's hard to see how it might have gone wrong. QuickTime's looking very suspicious there. I'd have a go at reinstalling Flash. If that doesn't help, take a look at this and see what's in the folders mentioned.

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/pipermail/mmtest/2...une/000389.html

I think all OS X's browsers (except possibly IE but let's not go there) share the same plugins so it seems likely that Firefox would only do the same thing. Safari is a good browser and I'd recommend it (based on a Linux browser called Konqueror actually :P) but if you want to try something else, go for Camino instead. It uses the Gecko rendering engine just like Firefox and Mozilla but it's designed specifically for OS X.

And just for your information, the Mozilla application suite (Mozilla Browser, Mozilla Mail, Mozilla Composer, etc) now has a new name because its development was officially stopped by the Mozilla Foundation and continued by a separate community-driven group. It is now called SeaMonkey. The Mozilla Foundation now focuses on Firefox, Thunderbird and all the rest of it instead.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:20 am

Ohh, sweetness. I installed it a second time and it worked. Why it didn't install properly the first time is beyond me (it's like it shut everything down). Thanks for the heads up guys.