I always knew they were nuts

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:27 pm

If the van's cargo — 10 dead dogs and three dead cats in black bags — was to be expected, its occupants were not. The driver and the passenger were employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the vehicle was registered to the organization.
article

funny audio regarding it
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:32 am

"The responsibility we have to animals doesn't mean giving them a painless death. It means coping with their challenges like we would a family member or a child," said Rich Avanzino, the president of Maddie's Fund.

His organization, endowed with $300 million by PeopleSoft founder David Duffield, advocates making the United States a "no-kill nation," where animals are only euthanized if they are dangerous or suffering from an incurable condition.
Maddie's Fund has a noble goal but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Animals are euthanized all the time, and keeping them all alive is a ludicrously unrealistic goal. Shelters like to downplay the fact that they kill pets by the hundreds but occasionally news like this is caught by the myopic public eye. Animals aren't adopted unless they're young and cute. Where are they supposed to go?

Have your pet spayed or neutered.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:09 am

I have to agree with Matt there. You have to be cruel to be kind sometimes.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:56 pm

Which is what the shelters they kidnapped the pets from were designed to do. I'm with you guys here, but what PETA did was illegal and cruel and COMPLETELY contradictory to what they want everybody to think their organization is about.

Listen to the audio, there's a little rant about just how stupid this is at the end.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:13 pm

Yeah I only glanced over the story so I didn't really get what was going on exactly. I'll take your word for it.