Religion is shit!

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:28 pm

well the sea fossils on mountain tops bit can be 'explained' by the facts that

A. Water level is not a constant, if there was a large scale melting of the ice caps then yes a large portion of world would be submerged, but the temperature would need to remain quite high etc.

B. Tectonic plate movement means seabeds become mountains the best example I can think of is the indian sub contentant.

http://www.archaeologyonline.net/indology/...onic-shifts.jpg

from this diagram you can see the contact of the two plates, One gets pushed up, the other down.

C. They are fossils, which in current understanding takes a long time, if ~4k years is enough I dunno, maybe, but I think it's relatively short.
Last edited by Mik on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:44 am

There is so much I want to say... but it would fall on deaf ears... I'm just stepping out...

However, my last comment, in regards to a clump of matter and a man that's made his own living for years, then cheats on his wife from the other thread... I truely cannot grasp how you can't see the difference.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:16 am

Most likely. Me and Bogey aren't going to convert Ben and Ben isn't going to help us find Jesus. All we can possibly achieve is a better understanding of each individual.

It's very noble to "respect peoples beliefs" but in the case of religion. It's kinda silly to make compromise with someone over something you know is bullshit. Call that arrogant, if you like :blink:. I call it correct, as sure as I know 1+1=2. It's plain logic.

At best, it's better to take an agnostic stance on religion.

:rolleyes:
Last edited by Matt on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:00 pm

Conversion!?
Surley you didnt even have the slightest intention of that.

besides that you sound less like you have a real point and more like "sombody else" in another recent topic.

and ironicly enough youve been going about this while thing like the typical fanatical christian.

its like you want to beat it into people.

shut up
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:28 pm

Seriously. I really don't care what you're saying so much as how you're saying it. The level of hypocrisy here is remarkable. All you're doing is telling someone else who thinks they're just as right as you that they're wrong. But instead of explaining yourself, you just take shots at the other side, and proclaim yourself like you're some how the Messiah of atheism. If you don't believe in God, if you don't believe in Jesus, that's ok for you. Would I like you to believe in it? Yes. That doesn't mean I'll ram it down you're throat because you're not accepting it. But not once in this entire thread have you made an actual point, other than the fact that you think religious people are stupid. It's just annoying to read, and it's annoying to listen to. And like Johnny said, you sound just like the type of evangelist I can't stand. The one who won't take no for an answer, and pushes people away by trying to jam something they don't believe into their heads. The only difference with you is the message. The delivery is absolutely the same.

I can't help but think that video is more of the same nonsensical rambling using human "common sense," as if the God of the universe could be explained in our terms. I find that to be a pretty ridiculous notion, whether you believe in God or not.

*Waits for the inevitable "Well you're a hypocrite too!" card to be played.*
Last edited by XenoRaven on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:49 pm

I have absolutely no idea how to respond to you. Clearly, I've angered you.

I made plenty of points. Here is another:

The king of Gods for the Egyptians, Amun, was not real. The mountain Gods of the Lambayeque....were not real. Thor, was not real. Zeus...was not real. We know this. We consider it fact. What makes this Christian version of God, real? What makes Yahweh, real? What makes Allah, real? (though, basically, they're all the same God, really) Are they real because there are books written about them and how you should worship? Like, tablets with ancient writing telling you how to mummify someone so they might take everything they need to The Kingdom of the West? Or books and scrolls written in Greece about Mount Olympus, home of the Gods? What happened? did Allah come down and behead these other Gods and take over? What? Really, what?

I made the connection between Gods being myth and that's how they should be.

I cannot fathom how people can believe in deities. It seems very primitive. Immature, socially and evolutionary. Furthermore, it causes too many problems.

I'm no evangelist. So, fuck you, on that one.

EDIT:

Anyway. My unicorn is ready. I have my fairy guardian. I'm going to hunt some dragons adn trolls. My god be with me, always.
Last edited by Matt on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:52 pm

Bearing that in mind, there is a difference between believing in hard researched fact, and believing in something some people wrote a book about.

EDIT: That was meant before Matt's post.
Last edited by Bogey on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:56 pm

Bogey wrote:Bearing that in mind, there is a difference between believing in hard researched fact, and believing in something some people wrote a book about.
Whoa, careful now. You fanatical evangelical cunt. Steady on with those "facts" I'll have to check my Bible on that one.

EDIT:

but otherwise QFMFT

http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=185806

ho ho ho
Last edited by Matt on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:53 am

pff, Thor is soo real ... he has his own comic.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:48 pm

I bought The God Delusion today. Looking forward to reading it.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:02 am

Matt wrote:I made the connection between Gods being myth and that's how they should be.
Oh ok. Just as long as you have.
Last edited by XenoRaven on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:47 pm

I don't understand, really. We're quite agreed on that the old Gods of mythology aren't real. What makes your God any more real? How do you constitute this blind faith? I know I'm arrogant in my ways, with good reason, what's your excuse?

Also this book is quite astounding. I'd say people should read it, but as the author says in the preface, many dyed-in-the-wool religious people won't even bother. No matter how intellectual they claim to be, they'll see it as an attack directed at them or a work of Satan.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:16 pm

way to sell it matt.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:25 pm

It's true.

If I handed you this book right now and said it was by Richard Dawkins and that I feel you'd find it interested. You'd disagree.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:26 pm

I think I'm gonna start worshiping the Norse pantheons.

Yep, it's on.

Fuck you matt, There is tonnes of evidence the old 'myths' (read: truth) is real.

For example wolves exsist, now if a wolf like attacked you be like 'omg wtfbbq did you see the size of that mofo, it's mouth so big, it could touch the fucking sky, yo. Sweet monkeys of fire, I'm like, soo fucking scared, lol lets tell everyone.. ooh shit, I didn't notice before but that fucker bit off my hand, sweet merciful balidur that hurts, I'm gonna soo tie that motherfucker to a rock, hand me my magic rope'

So Fenris is real ... fact

There are drunk scandivan people all over the world, in fact, I'm pretty sure at least 5% of them are drunk right now ... and every knows when your drunk you get crazy strong. I remember this one time I lifted a bus whilst drunk, it maybe have been a table, the details are blurry... I was turbo wasted.

So .. Thor is real (plus the comic telling of his travels like confirms this)

People get hands chopped of all the time, seabass just look at pirates, so Tyr is like a given.

Odin aka Wodan aka O-hell yeah bitches it's dan, is soo clearly real it's not even funny, That crazy bastard tore out one of his own eyes for a bet and then fucked it in a well, that's too crazy to not be true. Plus he invented animal husbandry with his pet wolves and his raven. This is how kick ass his raven was, it gave him immortality and shit so he could take on the crazy drug dealers that killed him and his finacee, shelley, so he goes round excuting them while his only friends are a 12 year old girl and some random cop.

After he finished with that, he retired but still does the odd concert where he actually melts face with his badass guitar licks. To this day 400 people have died due to face melted related complications to living.

If you don't believe me, your an idiot.
Last edited by Mik on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.