Religion is shit!

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:10 pm

Never have I heard someone speak as much sense as Richard Dawkins. This is a must watch for any Atheist. The full video lasts nearly 2 hours. I won't really go into so much what it's about because they sum it up nicely at the start.

Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xe7yf9GJUfU

Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qR_z85O0P2M
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:13 pm

I just watched nearly three hours of shakespear, I can only watch cartoons at this stage my mind is melted.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:51 am

12 minutes in... and this is damn interesting.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 am

I have better links to these videos. Richard Dawkins owns religious retards with surgical precision.

http://www.lastupload.com/files/6/Videos/T...th_-_Part_2.avi - part 2
http://www.lastupload.com/files/6/Videos/T...20of%202%29.avi - part 1
Last edited by Matt on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:35 am

so these are the exact same videos? I might have to download them then. Youtube is nice for streaming and not having to wait. But I would love a better quality version. I'm definately buying his book The God Delusion to read over christmas.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:02 am

Matt wrote:Richard Dawkins owns religious retards with surgical precision.

You have no fucking respect at all, do you... It doesn't matter if you don't beleive it, It doesn't matter if I don't beleive it... Other people do. To criticize them for there beleif isn't nessicary.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:02 am

Bogey, yes they're brilliant quality videos.

Will, Ted Haggard isn't a retard, at all? The London Headmaster in a part 2 who actually tries to justify teaching Noah's Ark in science, also, is not a retard?

Besides, I mean it in jest. Not everyone who is religious is a retard. But the extremes are, not for their religious beliefs, because they're just plainly fucking stupid.

But actually, I'll open more on my stance on religion for you to criticize me for my belief, because I fully understand my opinion on the subject will be disagreed with and criticized.

I think religion is stupid. I think the most prominent figures - save a few - are stupid. I find the belief in a deity that created the world totally absurd. I find the teachings of John the Baptist, Mohammed and Moses to be absolutely fucking insane. Burning bushes, calls to kill cities and resurrections? Yeah, right. I've no quarrels with people worshipping false gods. I've no problems with people explaining to me their beliefs. I've got a huge problem with how closely tied religion is with politics and how much importance people weigh on religion. It's hard to say to a church goer "hey look, I'm sorry, but just because your book that is 1300 years old says so, doesn't mean it's right" but it has to be done.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:11 am

The first person to ask a question in the Q & A session I would call a retard, or just a complete dick.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:20 am

The force is strong with this one.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:24 am

A good majority of the Q&A section wa stupid questions, but the first guy was just funny.

You're beleif on religion is that, your beleif, I'm not going to argue it, or for it. but you come on such a harsh tone, and when you start calling other's stupid for what they believe, that's when you've crossed the line.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:55 am

I don't know if Matt is anything like me. But growing up in public schools which force christianity on you, having daily prayers etc. I have grown rather bitter towards it all. Thankfully our country is quite different now, probably thanks to a labour government.

The reason a lot of the questions were stupid is because they came from Liberty University.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:18 am

I actually really enjoyed R.E (Religious Education) during school, I always did like ancient history. The majority of my schooling has been under a New Labour government.

I do understand what you say there, Will. I do understand why you say it and why it's fairer and more liberal to take that kind of stance, but my brain just won't let me. I like to use common sense.

I take it you watched these videos, then, Bogey?

EDIT:

A quote from a friend of mine that made me chuckle
Sar wrote:"I basically said that it was impossible for Noah to collect two of all 100 million species of animals, including all the insects (not all of which thousands of scientists have discovered, let alone one drunk), all the animals that live in the Americas, the far East, Antarctica, get them all on a boat before they start dying (where does he get the food to feed all of them? Many have 24 hour life spans), then keep them alive during a violent storm, throwing the boar around AND keep the lions from eating the antelope, etc. Then personally distribute the animals so all the penguins are in Antarctica and marsupials are in Australia. Especially since God did not interfere in the collection process, as far as I remember.

Also, I like to remember that people preach new religions every day, each as believable, if not more believable than Christianity. Hell, when Jesus was around, there was a guy name Apollonius of Tyana, who preached similar things, raised the dead, performed miracles, had disciples, was persecuted, crucified, resurrected and ascended to heaven. The reason Christianity caught on was for political reasons entirely. To hold the Roman empire together. Then, when the Roman empire collapsed, it was used to keep people in line, a way to exercise control over the whole of the Christian lands without conquering or anything.

We lost 1000 years to Christianity (fall of the Roman empire to the invention of the printing press there was virtually zero scientific advancement, philosophy, anything), and it's an archaic religion. In fact, the doctrine of beliefs is so quickly being disproved by science, it's hard to imagine what exactly Christians DO believe in. The only thing that's really left to explain is what happens when we die, and that's pretty much been solved, people just don't want to except that it's the end of consciousness. In fact, most Christians today don't believe in the whole turn the other cheek, spend your life worshipping God stuff. Most of them are the militant, pro-death penalty sorts of people. The only thing that defines them as Christians is the fact that they believe that Jesus was some kind of divine zombie."
Last edited by Matt on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:22 am

I just dowloaded those videos you linked to, and they're different from what I posted. I posted a lecture with question and answer session at a university in America. The link you posted is a TV program for channel 4.

Still, glad you posted it. Something more for me to watch. But I thought I'd point it out for the purpose of others in this thread interested. It's a completely different video.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:57 am

just curious Joe.
howd you come across this?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:01 am

The God Delusion to read over christmas.
there was almost some delicious irony there, blast you
Last edited by Mik on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.