Networked Media Appliance

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:15 pm

There are five guys in my house and we all download a lot of movies and stuff. We're looking for a way to play them on our television. A friend of mine used to do it with his Xbox, which hooked into the network and could play movies off of people's hard drives. That would be perfect for us, and a used Xbox would be pretty cheap right now, but do we have to buy a game console just to do this? Don't they have networkable DVD players or something?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:47 pm

I gather it takes a bit of work (never tried myself) but this project is pretty awesome. People tend to use very small PCs for it but Linux being Linux, you could use all sorts. You won't find anything as featureful as this.

http://www.mythtv.org
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:12 am

Featureful is nice but I was hoping for something that works out of the box.

MythTV looks nice. It reminds me of my friend Ben. He hooked up a huge HDTV as a PC monitor and got a TV tuner card, and a bunch of emulators. He picked up a gyroscopic mouse for a remote, so he can sit across the room and use his TV/PC/stereo/console. It looks better than an average television, but I understand he paid a bit for it.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:34 am

Would a TV card and some extra long cable not do the trick?