comic books

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:32 am

have comic books dissapeared? and if not then why isnt there a section for them on aura? as well why hasent there been the whole marvel vs dc battle been done? and who would really win in a fight superman or the hulk? comics, just feel dead to me, and to aura apparently. in my eyes, the dream is dead, but im gunna fight the power, just like disco tried to do. so who hear loves comics? what ones? whos your fav superhero? who would win in a race the flash or superman? who would win in a strength competition hulk or the thing? these are important questions and they are going unattended to. so if no one replies to this comics have died, and soon marvel and dc will fall.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:42 am

Totally Not Dead.

Just not mainstream.
They were very popular in the 30's-50's because their wasnt much else to do.

When you reffer to them disspearing you might be reffering to that huge presence they had in the early 90's
thats about the time a few people were getting rich selling old comics. People started seeing comic collection is an easy get rich investment. However, since consumer base got extremely large becuase of them, they kinda shot themselves in the foot.
More comics had to be put into circulation to meet the demand, and as a result, they became less valuable becuase theirs so many copies of the same one issue out there, and lots in great condition.

When people saw it actually wasnt a profitable investment, and that it would take decades for it to show fruit, it was dropped.

And so the consumer base resetlled itself to a natural level again.

In our short lifetime that would look like an industry death.
but looking at the full picture it was more of freak accident that corrected itself.

DC has battled Marvel and a few occasions.
but all those books generally suck.

Amalgam comics if you wanna look into it (I actually have two crappy ones here on my desk) they like to combine different characters from the two universes into one character (its a really bad concept)

-Hulk, cuzz superman sucks.

-hulk vs thing in strenght competition
Hulk.
his power is ever increasing
"hulk strongest one there is"- hulk

Comics are far from dead.
last years atlanta comic con proved that.
this city was packed for days

and californias upcoming con will probably be even more packed.

but if you were to name all the comic book heros that the general population knows of, you probably get about 5

spiderman
superman
batman
wolverine
and hulk

The reason for that is probably becuase these are also the characters that established themselves in movies and/or television a very long time ago.

A small few other characters are widley known. but they dont count becuase people dont even know they have comic book origins.
Like Blade
Most people just assume its some typical vampire thing. when the reality of it is, having spiderman dash across the screen for a few seconds would be a very accurate and valid thing.

Marvel and DC are also far from failure.
over the past few years and well in to the next few. these guys a totally running the movie industry thru licensed material.

Wether the movies suck or become instant hits, its grabbing a lot of attention and bringing in new first time readers, and also getting back other readers it may have lost.

the industry is alive, well. and thriving on its own merit now, rather than being looked at as some way to get rich.
Last edited by kaos on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:10 am

I read transformer Comic books...

And mangas
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:13 am

the reason it doesn't have a section here on Aura is that we have a finite community and the possible number of topics is fairly small, even if we had 5 or so seperate threads about comic books it still wouldn't really warrant it's on section as I think it would kill it.

Much like when starting a fire you don't light the tinder only to smash a ton of wood on it.
Last edited by Mik on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:24 am

Lastwolf wrote:the reason it doesn't have a section here on Aura is that we have a finite community and the possible number of topics is fairly small, even if we had 5 or so seperate threads about comic books it still wouldn't really warrant it's on section as I think it would kill it.

Much like when starting a fire you don't light the tinder only to smash a ton of wood on it.
We have a forum for books. A forum with only one thread.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:38 am

yep, but I didn't make that :P also we had a slighty bigger member base back then
Last edited by Mik on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:37 am

You didn't make it, my arse. Only you could come up with a forum description like "you know... those Things... feared for their paper cuts. beware.... BEWARE" :lol:
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:48 pm

hmm yeah, that does sound like something I'd say .. but I still don't remember making it. If you can find definitive proof however I will fold like a cheap deck of cards or profess that a wizard is responsible.
Last edited by Mik on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:37 pm

I usually throw it in books or entertainment.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm

We should have just one forum, titled "Crap".
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:55 am

it'd just get lots of...

I was gonna say spam.
but considering where like 98% standard 616 spam already, ultimate spam would probably be the best way to go.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:31 am

General is Sudanese for 'crap'
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:52 pm

At my libary there's shit loadsa comic books and graphic novels. I've read Akira, Batman, Wolverine and most of the popular comics as well as Asterix.

But my fave is Tank Girl :P
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:12 am

if it was my library id have lots of late fines
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:42 am

you know, someone told me about a movie called tank girl. same thing?

what is tank girl anyway?