the evolution thing again

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:33 pm

it's meant to be a place of learning not a social club :P
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:30 pm

*applauds Mik*
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:50 am

Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:48 pm

good to hear. I'm surprised though, Ken Ham and the like aren't exactly my favorite presenters when it comes to stuff like this. The reporter obviously was cherry picking bits and pieces to make it look a lot worse then it was, and i really didn't see any of the evidence that they talked about when i saw him in person. They conveniently cut that out. But if it made you open your eyes a little, i guess that's just fine. I personally was more swayed by Behe. Did you check out his stuff too? I must have posted a link to his research a few times already.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:49 pm

Nice to see you don't have a problem with brainwashing children.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:03 pm

oh you were being sarcastic?

sorry, i didn't expect you to be such a bigot. Obviously somewhere along the line someone failed to teach you to have any ounce of respect for what other people believe. Or perhaps you were brainwashed yourself and trained to hate certain kinds of people. Either way, this is meant to be a debate, not a mud slinging contest, and unless you can put aside whatever prejudice you so obviously have for the other side and participate properly, you shouldn't be posting.

I'll respond to your claim of 'brainwashing' anyway. Clearly those children had already been taught that the theory of evolution as the origin of life was the scientific standard, that was made clear even by the obviously biased reporters footage. I don't see how you can call exposing them to both views taught as fact to be 'brainwashing' when you so obviously support the teaching of evolutionary origins as fact to children.

Again, this topic isn't about the teaching methods used. This is about the theory of evolution itself. Stick to the topic please.
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:10 am

I didnt get past the dinosuars thing.

how do you not "belive in" dinosaurs when theirs a 80 foot tall skeleton of one in the musem?

I quit watching just after that.

sorry but that part just seemed silly.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:29 am

hehe, I couldn't care less if you think I have a right to posting, and yeah it was so obvious that those kids had been told evolution is the fact and you should not believe in anything else(yes that was sarcasm too incase I have to point it out), he asked them if they had heard of it. I'm not the one who is telling people what to believe, but that guy is. Kids can have religious education, but should not be told to not believe in anything else. You're such a hypocrite for calling me a bigot.
Last edited by Bogey on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:52 pm

It's common knowledge that schools teach the theory of evolutionary origins as scientific fact, even to the extent that some teachers in high school will mock students that believe in anything else. I've personally heard stories from teenagers to that extent.

As for me being a bigot, which is what i believe you were implying, i have no idea what you're talking about. Perhaps you'd care to explain?
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:15 pm

oh for christ's sake Ben. You're hell-bent on dragging these arguments out as much as possible. Sure I implied you were a bigot, but you outright called me one. I remember a short while ago someone complaining about these discussions turning into personal attacks.

"I've heard stories from people" I'm sure you have, I've heard a lot of stories about many different things. I like to read stories too. And sometimes watching them in film form.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:37 pm

So you want more then I've heard stories from people? I've done far more then that. I've talked to teachers work with other educators that do this, I've even witnessed it first hand. There's articles printed about it all over legitimate news media. It's common knowledge.
In 2002, six parents in Cobb County, Georgia sued to have the following sticker removed from public school textbooks: "This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered." Selman v. Cobb County School District, No. 1:02CV2325 (N.D. Ga. filed Aug. 21, 2002).

On January 14, 2005, a federal judge in Atlanta ruled that the stickers should be removed as they violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment [11].
That's just one example i got from wikipedia, I'm not going to clutter up the board with more.

How am i hell bent here? scroll up a bit, you were the one who went and made this personal You were the one who started with the sarcasm and the Christiaphobic media. I called you a bigot because, frankly, you were acting like one by posting a video that consisted of carefully organized sound bites designed to show those who don't believe in evolutionary origins in the worst possible light, as if such a thing actually contributed in any way to a logical debate, then following it with a sarcastic comment. You stop generalizing and showing such animosity for the opposing side, and guess what, you won't look like a bigot anymore.
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:42 pm

I actually don't have a problem with a sticker like that on a text book. I think evolution should be critically considered. As Eddie Izzard so wonderfully put it, I don't think the next logical conclusion should be FUCKING MAGIC but there is still room for other alternative theories.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:28 am

didnt read most of this.
But my science teacher made it clear it was theory.
and that he was "teaching evolution" he was merely "explainging the theory....and testing on it"

anyway, I think thats the part where the confustion comes from.
just cuase a teacher covers the subject in school doesnt necessarily mean he's teaching in the sense that he's saying its fact.

and I think its somthing they almost have to do.

it being science class and all, he cant exactly cover whats in the bible.

cuzz then he'd have to cover whats in the Quran and everything else.

and still it being a science class...it doesnt fit.
and to be honest theirs no public school corses you could put religous texts into where they do actually fit.

like it or not the theory of evolution goes right up there with the theory of relativity
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:03 am

Teachers do do it though. There's one in an elementary school near here, and i've been taught by one at college. They'll SAY it's a theory maybe once in a while if questioned, but then they teach it as fact.
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:56 pm

This arguement is like a Bear trap,

you get your legs ripped to shit and you spend like an hour prying it out of that mechanical bastard are when you finally do you like, I'm soo not doing that again.

10 seconds later 'hey look a bear trap, lets jump on it'

------------------------------------

They where right to ask for that to be removed from that book, for example you would have a shit fit if on every bible there was a sticker that read
This book contains material on World history. This Bible is an interupation by several scholars on the events of the time, not a fact, regarding the History of mankind and the Life and Death of Jesus Christ. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered." Lord Wolf

The law states
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
They are quite right.

------------------------------

On that Video posted By Beardy, I find it offensive, my grandfather did look kinda like that, stop making fun of him you cheeky bastard!
Last edited by Mik on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.