the evolution thing again

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:51 pm

Dogs and Wolves aren't the same however they can breed with no dramatic side effects
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:53 pm

i'm not saying that you can't have different types of elephants, cats, etc that breed in or out certian characteristics, what i'm saying it the idea that new genes are introduced thereby changing the species of the animal is a stretch at best. All those animals you've mentioned are formed using existing DNA, it's simply being breeding desirable traits out or in as we desire. We're not creating anything 'new' but modifying something that already exists. You can change a dog around all you want, but there's certian roadblocks that are natrually occuring that prevent breeding to a certain extent. We call them different species. Evolution, as you're describing it, definatly occurs, but it dosn't account for new genetic material, nor could it be held responsible for the existance of all life as it is today.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:25 pm

I think theirs some confusion with the word "new"

I dont think new genes are introduced in the process.

I think that its more of a modification on existing ones.

now the proces is going to be slow.
but once you mod somthing enuff their comes a pont where its no longer the same thing.

that said. I dunno what exactly makes a cat a cat nor do i know what exactly makes a dog a dog. but logiclly thinking you have to assume that at some point in history there was probably a source animal that was both so to speak.

EDIT Bingo!

Miacis

"The dog traces its ancestry back to a five-toed, weasellike animal called Miacis, which lived in the Eocene epoch about 40 million years ago. This animal was the forebear of the cat, raccoon, bear, hyena, and civet, as well as of the wolf, fox, jackal, and dog.Miacis."

thats all I was trying to say right there.
Last edited by kaos on Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:18 pm

http://www.local6.com/news/9290536/detail.html

Birth defect?

or Evolution...

dun dun DUN!
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:50 am

it you specailise enough and breed out a characteristic enough then you become something else.

If you modify a spoon enough you can make a fork.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:27 pm

And if you breed a spoon and a fork... you get the sterial offspring, the spork
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:01 pm

Lastwolf wrote:it you specailise enough and breed out a characteristic enough then you become something else.

If you modify a spoon enough you can make a fork.
but it's still silverware, try making a fork into a blender, that's what evloution tries to do.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:22 pm

no it doesnt.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:05 pm

There's a bit of confusion here on what evolutionary genes are. It's been a long time since my biology A-levels so a lot of the words I can't really remember. But basically these genes are more or less a combination of stuff (yeah real articulate I know). Think of a lego kit you can make a helicopter out of, and in a different order you can make a car or something. That's why all life on earth has similarities running through it, like the lego trademark.

When you talk about "adding" new genes, they don't come from nowhere. The essential building blocks for the new gene are already there.

I hope someone has the knowledge to clarify what I'm saying, I tried looking it up but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I've always been shit with names.

BTW, you couldn't make a blender out of a fork. They both evolved from the bottlecap, and stemmed off into different branches.
Last edited by Bogey on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:37 pm

Genes are made of proteins. Proteins are made up of amino acids. I beleive amino acids are base as you're going to get.

These amino acids can create any number of proteins, which can create any number of genes... superior or dormant, which will alter DNA strands... which will alter creatures.

They aren't called "building blocks of life" because they follow a specific pattern.

Also... leading informations indicates that the bottle cap actually came from the alluminum can, and the the fork and blender orginated from the trash can. There was a mix up at an excivation site that screwed up the info for the last 10 years.
Last edited by Masteroftheweb on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:29 pm

I think it was a bit more specific than just proteins and amino acids what I was thinking of, but yeah atleast I know you get the point. It's been such a long time since I did this in biology and I quit because I was so bored of it, even though my grades were pretty good. I don't think I'll be much use to this thread.

Something we learned about in Religious Education was finding a balance between science and religion. Like what actually made that first single celled organism come to life? And what caused the Big Bang, or caused the cause of the Big Bang, or even the cause of the cause of the cause of the cause of the Big Bang. Once again I'm probably touching on stuff you guys know but I'm shitty with the names and specifics.

I'd be a fountain of knowledge if the universe was made out of lego.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:45 pm

Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:11 pm

While blance between science and religion is possable in some beleifs... Christainity is far to close minded, it teaches that god is supreme and don't question it...

and even the higher churches still don't like to answer certain questions... and they tend to be pretty open minded about the bible being all medifore and shit
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:50 pm

my arguments have nothing to do with religion if that's where you're going with this, they have to do with scientific, logical fact. you can shake a box of legos all you want, the chances of getting a exact reproduction of the empire state building to scale are... well.. impossible. Evolution says that given enough time that it is possible, and it's far more complex then just shuffeling legos anyway.
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:10 pm

who said anything about shuffeling and things being random? These are extremely slow and gradual processes.