Hairy Japanese Bastards

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Shroomygirl
Solider

Post by Shroomygirl » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:21 am

poor whales...and poor Japs...so much hate in this world
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:58 am

Considering the main Japanese diet consists of seafood, I don't see the big problem. How can you hate them when Americans did the same thing with Buffalo back in 1800's. This whole topic just seems hypocritical. Are the Japanese actually asking to hunt endangered/near extinct whales? Come on . . . if there are plenty, don't bitch about. We have plenty of cows here in the USA, so what's the big deal? Unless you are ALL vegans/PETA people . . . in that case, that explains a lot.

Plus. I'm going to be in Japan in less than a month, and I'll be there for quite sometime. Most Japanese people I've met are great people, and the way you guys talk actually upsets me. I thought that the people here at Aura were a little more understanding, little less quick to judge . . . I know you are all just joking around, but I'm just injecting this as "food for thought". Even in joking, I did feel that I had to say something.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:38 am

Joe isnt american.

and in the 1800's we were still riding things with wooden wheels and didnt even have telephones.

besides that the buffulo were killed as a tactic to weaken the natives and make them eaiser to conquer.

so it was by no means the same thing.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:45 am

THat was ONE reason, not the only. Another was for their fur, and of course some were killed by big game hunters too . . . and don't forget Oregon Trail! No, not the actual one, but the video game! I slaughtered countless hundreds of Bison in that game, and always left the bodies behind! Well, wasn't my fault ... stupid computer would only let me carry 200 lbs back to the Wagon Train *rambles on*
Drayton
Enforcer

Post by Drayton » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:03 am

B) WOOT! Oregon trail rocks! Japanese people ROCK!

NUKE THE WHALES!!!!!
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:20 pm

early americans shot everything that moved, they still do.

millions of bison where killed for sport as they drove past on a train and they didn't really give too hoots.

A whale is considerably larger than a cow and you can't farm it .. the cow is not an endangered species and it takes like 5 years for a whale to mature from birth and what a year for a cow the regeneration - cull ratio is hardly promising, you have to manage your food supply.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:25 pm

Okay. If a certain whale population is healthy (there are a few), then it's okay to have limited hunting, but only for food purposes (not porpoises!) If the Japanese are just going to be slaughtering them for the hell of it, then hell no don't let this happen. But I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let all that whale meet go to waste. Can't hate the Eskimos for killing them either!
Drayton
Enforcer

Post by Drayton » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:50 pm

B) See I got no problem with the japs doing it because I know they will eat all of it. I mean think about all that sushi. But Eskimos they are evil I dont trust them <_< dirty Eskimos.
Last edited by Drayton on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:40 am

Japan has one of the most intensive marine fishing industries in the world, with one of the largest seafood consumptions in the world. Do you really think that by making Whales (the types that they are "hunting" aren't in good "Farmable" numbers mind you and are only being whaled because the ones they preferred are banned) farmable you are discouraging it?

Whales are large, labor intensive, time intensive, sensitive creatures who are capable of breaking out of a enclosure devised to "pen" them. They follow seasonal and instinct based breeding that requires migration patterns, there food sources are easily depleted in constant areas in a short span of time. Hell there are ALOT more impracticalities as well as ethical abhorrid things I can mention.

The Bison/buffulo extinction of North America WAS a terrible and hideous example of how human natures thoughtlessness for the environment and ecosystem can deprive the earth of not only it's diversity but hell... LIFE. Sure the Colonists from a hundred years or so where bloody stupid, are you validating the whaling to near extinction because a bunch of idiots who didn't know better did it?

The global nation BANNED whaling for a reason. It learned, if you want to think of alternatives to whale meat go ahead. If you want to suggest using the carcusses of beached whales (something we still do not understand, they may of been OUR fault ya know) for human consumption go for it, cloning the muscular protein of whales or some other alternative go for it...

But hell... there are a lot of things that cultures had done but stopped doing because its not our place on earth to fuck it up that much.

Your alternative for farming of whales I think is logistical unsound and also so expensive that it's not lucridive and anyway. Hell they only just got Tuna farming into a decent marine farming practice.
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:57 am

Eskimo's are allowed to hunt whales because they don't over-hunt, and they use every part of the whale.

And doesn't have a population of 128 million either.

If Japan legalizes it, I can foresee a drastic decline in the whale population, because people don't know how to limit themselves. I don't see the need for alternatives. They've been living this long without whales, why start now?
ReDeemer
Solider

Post by ReDeemer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:42 pm

Either way the Jap's decide, we're still getting soap.
:D
Last edited by ReDeemer on Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:04 pm

Well, would it be just as bad if the Japanese didn't fish the whales but instead fished their food source as an alternative, thus killing them off or changing their migration patterns?
Drayton
Enforcer

Post by Drayton » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:47 pm

B) So we are all agreed Eskimos are dirty.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:16 am

I dont really see the japanese sucessfully ridding the whole ocean of either plankton or krill. It's also slightly retarded because in the food web of the ocean both of the above are the primary source of food for MOST marine life somewhere along the chain whether it be secondary or even tertiary.

Also, Whales are mammals, the term is whaling not fishing.

And dani has a very valid point, eskimo's kill a couple of whales at a time....not entire pods at a time. I can easily see a fleet of whalers taking out a pod of whales. Eskimo's don't have those sort of resources.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:22 pm

so ... GO ESKIMOS!